Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 BOWMAN CHROME: HOW MUCH DAMAGE ARE YOU FINDING?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I'd like to point out that I've got 16 damaged autographed cards out of my first 100 autographed hits in 2014 Bowman Chrome baseball, and I wonder how many of you guys are also finding damage on your autographs?

I've found the majority of the damage to be along the bottom back edge, although sometimes the autograph is smeared, the surface is scratched up (one), or that same bottom right front corner is crushed/bent in.

Numerous base chrome cards have become worthless due to bent corners, but so far only one parallel card shows damage (corner bent on a gold refractor).

It's too bad that Topps can't do this right. I've alerted them of the issues and will prob update this thread with their resolutions.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
The case break by Dave on BO (20 cases i believe) had damage on almost every single auto for the entire run of cases. Some big cards were damaged.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like they ought to buy some new machines to insert these autographs more acceptably.

Also, why are we seeing 2014 Bowman Chrome products showing up in other products when they should be seeded in boxes of this product??? LAME. I saw a 2014 BC superfractor fire diecut of Miguel Sano pulled last night from a different product!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I saw a 2014 BC superfractor fire diecut of Miguel Sano pulled last night from a different product!

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't seem wrong. The other product looks to be a repack product so the card was purchased after pulling or originally pulled from a bowman product and placed into this third party repack product.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'd say smeared auto likely isn't packout (since the seeder machine drops the card into the stack being built into a pack). It's the athlete causing it or (and yes, I've been told topps is useless at signings for QC) but a topps rep that actually observes a signing should help the athlete out to keep the auto from being smeared, whether it be watch the hand smear or lay out the cards such as to let the ink dry.

Watch some Panini auto signing videos, OTOH, and it's apparent a panini rep at the signing gives the athlete some tips to keep the auto from smearing right after signing.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I was at my LCS last night and three guys were complaining about damage from a couple of different topps products. Bowman was the big complaint but one said he said issues with triple threads as well. The owner said topps is getting sloppy and just doesn't care anymore

Sent from my LGMS323 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
That Flores auto LOL

How terrible. Not opening any BC but have a dozen or so cases of Draft pre ordered so hopefully there aren't issues there

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Similar to 2010 chrome then huh

I opened 3 cases of that and 1 case all the cards had that same back bottom edge issue

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Similar to 2010 chrome then huh

I opened 3 cases of that and 1 case all the cards had that same back bottom edge issue

I really wonder how Topps is going to solve this problem because it's just going to be way too many damaged cards to replace everything with the actual same cards... I would imagine

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Topps Chrome autographs several years ago were a mess too.I had to send some of them back because the autograph looked so bad.Some of the ink even dried on the back of the cards.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I really wonder how Topps is going to solve this problem because it's just going to be way too many damaged cards to replace everything with the actual same cards... I would imagine

they'll ignore the request, tell you they can't send replacements as the cards are out of stock, or will just send you packs as a replacement.

Topps could fix QC - change printers, change card stock, or have the employees at the printers play closer attention to what part of the machine process is causing a large number of scratches, ding corners, notches, or upturned corners but many of those QC fixes increase expenses.

There is no motivation for Topps to fix their QC issues - you can boycott them but since they make stuff to order, it just means less quantity will be produced of a product if the preorders suffer from an organized boycott. You can complain to MLBP but their hands are tied about changing out Topps until 2020. You can complain to the BBB but it's likely Topps' BBB record is shot so what's another complaint on their BBB record?

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
they'll ignore the request, tell you they can't send replacements as the cards are out of stock, or will just send you packs as a replacement.

Topps could fix QC - change printers, change card stock, or have the employees at the printers play closer attention to what part of the machine process is causing a large number of scratches, ding corners, notches, or upturned corners but many of those QC fixes increase expenses.

There is no motivation for Topps to fix their QC issues - you can boycott them but since they make stuff to order, it just means less quantity will be produced of a product if the preorders suffer from an organized boycott. You can complain to MLBP but their hands are tied about changing out Topps until 2020. You can complain to the BBB but it's likely Topps' BBB record is shot so what's another complaint on their BBB record?

Well, I'll be sure and post and let you all know how they handle this.

Members online

Latest posts