Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

posting your wants/collections. does it help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
The forums are a great way to communicate and enjoy the hobby with fellow collectors. Most are good to great interactions. But there are many collectors who don't belong to a forum or simply lurk
When you post your collections/wants does it seem to help further them along? I'm only asking because many have contributed nicely to further my griffey collection along but on the harder to find PC'S I think the availability has dwindled.. and/or the knowledge to help. Also I've noticed, posting a want list has led to an Ebay listing within hours at some ginormous asking price. Coincidence? Maybe once or twice but I've had it happen at least a dozen times in the past year.
Sometimes I feel making my wants/needs known has made it harder for me to actually collect what I've liked. Any others feel this way?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
For me, I feel like the generosity of the people on this site has helped much more than I can ever repay. But then again I don't really go after a lot of higher end stuff, so no ones tried to gouge me on an eBay listing, not that it would work anyway.
So for me, posting my Mets autos thread, or my Victor Cruz/JPP PC have been huge successes, and it's all because of the people of FCB

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Once upon a time, in a land far away, a beautiful, independent, self assured princess happened upon a frog as she sat, contemplating ecological issues on the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle. The frog hopped into the princesses lap and said: "Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am, and then, my sweet, we can marry and setup housekeeping in yon castle with my mother, where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so." That night, the princess dined sumptuously on a repast of lightly sauteed frog legs seasoned in a white wine and shallot cream sauce.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
A want list has not really helped me because most people just say need these?

Rare cards end up on ebay 9/10 times. Mainly the owner remembers buying the cards during the height of card collecting and the collector knows the market. I don't think a lot of modern rare cards trade hands privately.

A collector site also helps prove you aren't a 'flipper'. I think grace collector got his red crusade from meeting a local who had listed a 'baseball card lot' on ebay.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Once upon a time, in a land far away, a beautiful, independent, self assured princess happened upon a frog as she sat, contemplating ecological issues on the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle. The frog hopped into the princesses lap and said: "Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am, and then, my sweet, we can marry and setup housekeeping in yon castle with my mother, where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so." That night, the princess dined sumptuously on a repast of lightly sauteed frog legs seasoned in a white wine and shallot cream sauce.

Lol what?

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I like when members give me heads up on a card. Or offer me a card for sale, if its more than I think its worth for me I just pass. I think I made way more trades and sales on here through pm's than the trade board or ebay.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Not even sure if others ever look at my site, I don't have stats set up for it. It is more useful for set/team collecting since one's lists are readily available. For me, it is nice to have a website I can pull up at shows, so I know I'm not buying what I already have.

I agree about people taking you more seriously as a collector than a dealer/flipper. I would be more inclined to work out a deal with a player collector who has a site, it helps to gauge commitment.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm torn on this very idea. On one hand I want people to know what I need and have a list out there but on the other hand I feel like people can try and hold you hostage for the cards you want or ask for more that top dollar because they know there is a need there.

As someone else already said, the generosity on the board definitely has outweighed the jerk moves and it's probably worth the "risk" if it's even fair to call it that.

Also, one of the bigger benefits to a board community is when people give me a heads up about a Belle card. That is almost better than being contacted by a person who has the card.

All in all, the board had helped beyond a level that I can explain for my PC and it is the board that will one day help me get to my ultimate goal of +90% Belle cards owned. Without the board, I wouldn't even get close or be as close as I am today.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
There's no question that posting on here/interacting with members on this site specifically has helped my collection more than any other site (even eBay). The quality of cards held by members here is astonishing, I've found members with cards here that I see maybe once every couple years if that on eBay.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I really don't have a want list per-say and would really like to get rid of some of my cards that are just taking up space in my basement.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I don't post a wantlist on my websites, but will share it with board members that I know are of the helpful persuasion. I find having a website VERY useful though, as it is easy to point someone too to show that you are a serious collector and will give their card a good home. And every now and then someone will contact me out of the blue, say they saw the website and have a card they think I would like. That's got me some great cards and items at unbelievable prices.

I don't post a wantlist and I haven't done Beckett's supercollector feature although asked by Chris Olds, simply as I think it's better to keep your hand close to your chest, as the poker saying goes. Just like using a sniping program keeps bids lower than openly bidding - and therefore broadcasting your intentions, just keeping your wantlist inside your head doesn't broadcast your "desperation" for certain cards. Unless you are ready to pony up top dollar, I would keep your wantlist private, or at least in a small circle of friends.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Here is an example in which a want list helped. One of the players I collect is also collected heavy by two other members who post want list here at FCB. The 3 of us had a card on our lists and it recently popped up on the Bay. I contacted member (1) to see if he was going after it. He told me no but member (2) was planning on going after it pretty hard therefore I held back from bidding. Had I not seen their want lists I would have gone after the card hard as well and one of us would have paid a lot more than what it actually sold for.

Last edited:

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Here is an example in which a want list helped. One of the players I collect is also collected heavy by two other members who post want list here at FCB. The 3 of us had a card on our lists and it recently popped up on the Bay. I contacted member (1) to see if he was going after it. He told me no but member (2) was planning on going after it pretty hard therefore I held back from bidding. Had I not seen their want lists I would have gone after the card hard as well and one of us would have paid a lot more than what it actually sold for.

ill flip you for the next one. ;)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It is a slippery slope but [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] has a great post above. Not to mention, even for someone like me, my want list is really rare Belle cards. I mean I have nearly 90% of all cards of his, so any that I "want" are going to be rare and there really isn't a list to put out there that a lot of people are going to see.

That all said, it still amazes me how I'll come across a member who has a Belle card that I need and they've had it forever (or a long time) and never reached out or checked to see if I had it, etc. The hobby is a crazy place and I guess no matter what you do it'll help and hurt all at the same time lol

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Some great points being made. I'd actually thought about doing a website which would be cool but haven't looked into it much. The members here are great in sharing information and the generosity never ceases to amaze me.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Another point by [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] about being in Beckett. I've always said that once I got 90% of Belle cards outstanding that I would try and do that (not sure what the process is or how easy it is) and thought that would be cool. It is a good point though about when/if you were to do that and how it would put you on the map and almost make you a target. It is too bad that is a worry and now something for me to think about. I already think that I'm a target when any super rare Belle card hits the market... sad to think that would increase that :(

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I will say that I wouldn't have these with out help of a fellow board member. That goes for a lot of other stuff in my collection as well.
2000UltraMasterpiece-1.jpg
1998UltraMasterpieceback.jpg

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Even usernames help.

I was on net54 about a year ago and saw a Harry Caray signed Budweiser poster. It said 'Cub Fan Bud Man' so I immediately Pmed cubfanbudman on here.

Members online