Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alfonso Soriano retires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Seven-time All-Star Alfonso Soriano says he is retiring from the major leagues after a season in which he was released by the New York Yankees in July.

"I've lost the love and passion to play the game," Soriano said in a radio interview Tuesday in his native Dominican Republic. "Right now, my family is the most important thing."

Soriano, 38, completed in 2014 the final year of his $136 million, eight-year contract he signed with the Chicago Cubs before the 2007 season.

He ends his career 50th in baseball history with 412 home runs.

"Although I consider myself in great shape, my mind is not focused on baseball," Soriano said.

Soriano was released by the Yankees after playing just 67 games. He was hitting .221 with six home runs and 23 RBIs.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One of only 4 players in MLB history to be in the 40-40 club.
And Soriano is the only one not linked to steroids.
Too bad he couldn't keep up the stats of his early Yankee years, because he looked like a Hall of Famer for his first decade or so. Moving to the outfield hurt his chances too.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'm only going to miss Soriano because it seemed like he used a bat that was way too big for his body!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
"I've lost the love and passion to play the game," Soriano said in 2006, immediately after signing his 8-year contract to play with the Chicago Cubs. "Right now, my family is the most important thing."

^^^ Fixed the above quote for accuracy.

Members online