Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Classic Home Run Derby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Loved seeing these! Players you only heard stories about suddenly were on classic ESPN hitting homeruns and talking with the host. Awesomeness

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It's really cool that this was on some random sandlot-like field, hitting home runs into someone's backyard. ESPN classic used to air these a lot. Love it.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
  1. Hosted by Mark Scott, each episode of "Derby" is a half-hour, nine-inning home-run hitting contest, staged at Wrigley Field in Los Angeles(which was, at the time of filming, a minor-league ballpark; but it soon became the home of the American League Los Angeles Angels, when the league expanded in 1961).

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Absolutely LOVED that show. Wish they'd bring it back and then start up a new one. One who doesn't have the net or doesn't really care for, let's use as an example, Josh Hamilton, can get to know him during the competition.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Absolutely LOVED that show. Wish they'd bring it back and then start up a new one. One who doesn't have the net or doesn't really care for, let's use as an example, Josh Hamilton, can get to know him during the competition.

Who would be your first head-to-head match, to get the series jump-started? I would do Stanton vs. M. Cabrera with Stanton for the victory.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Stanton vs. Cespedes for the first show. Abreu vs. Rizzo in a battle of Chitown in the 2nd. And a 'watch these guys now, remember them down the road' matchup between Kennys Vargas vs. George Springer (since the whole country doesn't prospect).

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Stanton vs. Cespedes for the first show. Abreu vs. Rizzo in a battle of Chitown in the 2nd. And a 'watch these guys now, remember them down the road' matchup between Kennys Vargas vs. George Springer (since the whole country doesn't prospect).

Done. I have my TV on and will be waiting in anticipation.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
Very cool to see. The most interesting part to me was seeing the players sit down and talk. Mantle and Mays looked so comfortable in front of the camera. For the 60's, Mantle was borderline eccentric. Mathews came off as a really nice guy too.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I really liked that show, too, but it wasn't really compelling. It was weird how they did it with no spectators, and so much silence. Just 2 hitters, the Jack Webb-like commentator, and a semi-dark stadium. And the structure of the contest, back and forth, got surreal sometimes because after the 2nd or 3rd round they'd be like,"And there's another long drive by Mantle."
"Yeah, he really hit that one."
10 seconds of silence.
"Ooh he just missed that one."
"Yeah that was close."

MTV had a celebrity softball game back in 1992 or so, and had Griffey, Thomas, and a couple other young MLBers for a home run contest. I think Griffey won, but Thomas dented an aluminum bat against a ball. Something like that would be great.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Oh, I just had an idea. Like Iron Chef, have a group of like 3 retired sluggers, like Adam Dunn, Jim Thome, and Reggie Jackson. Then 2 younger guys each challenges one of them and they have a 10-pitch slug-off. Then the 2 winners play against each other. Get Gary Cole, Jason Bateman, and the unchosen slugger to do commentary.

Man, I'm doing this. How do I become a TV producer?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Oh, I just had an idea. Like Iron Chef, have a group of like 3 retired sluggers, like Adam Dunn, Jim Thome, and Reggie Jackson. Then 2 younger guys each challenges one of them and they have a 10-pitch slug-off. Then the 2 winners play against each other. Get Gary Cole, Jason Bateman, and the unchosen slugger to do commentary.

Man, I'm doing this. How do I become a TV producer?

I like the head-to-head format personally. I agree though, maybe have a small crowd that could have a line of questions for the players when they are not at bat, there is some need to break up the silence. Something along the lines of personal bios of each of the participants would be a way for young fans and the likes to connect with the players.

Latest posts