Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1984 - What stands out for you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had a thought to try to drum up some general conversation. I used a randomizer and selected 33-114 to represent the card years 1933-2014. It came up 84, so here it is…1984.

Let's talk about 1984 from a hobby/card perspective. I know this is the baseball forum, but I'm sure we have plenty of people who collect multiple sports and non-sports items. Don't feel tied down to just baseball. Reference a card magazine, talk about an issue that was special to you, link a site or share some scans. I'd prefer people show things they own if at all possible, when sharing scans, rather than just stealing a scan of a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly. Anything goes though. Let's see what kind of random participation we can get going and if it works, we can try other years as well.

I'll start us out.

I turned 15 years old in July of 1984. I was an avid card collector at the time. This would be the first year that finding certain new cards became very difficult for me though. I had been buying the big 3 sets each year through the mail, but continued to buy packs of the new stuff at local retail outlets and on that rare occasion, a trip to Pacific Trading Cards in Edmonds, WA. This year though, Donruss and Fleer to a lesser extent, would be impossible to find! The companies were testing out a large variety of new products, so aside from the regular sets, there were MANY other possibilities for collectors to try and chase. Boxed sets, metal cards, stamps, stickers, minis, jumbos, pins, pencils, etc.

In the arena of sports, I had temporarily shifted my allegiance over to the Padres from the Dodgers after long time Dodger Steve Garvey signed with San Diego after the 1982 season. The Padres certainly didn't have the winning history that the Dodgers did (LA had just won their first WS in quite some time in 1981 after a long string of losses throughout the 70s). However, 1984 would be different. Padres Owner & the man behind the massive growth of McDonalds, Ray Kroc, died in January 1984 and the team wanted to realize his biggest dream, to bring the city a world championship. Maybe it was just meant to be, but the Padres did end up in the World Series that year and Steve Garvey certainly played a major role in that. His clutch HR in the NLCS was probably the turning point that propelled San Diego into the series. Sadly for Padre fans, the Tigers would crush them in the series. This home run is still probably the single most exciting sporting event that I witnessed live (on TV, but i was watching live) and that had a close meaning to me personally, as a fan of Garvey and the team at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTS2ZU4HzA

This appears to be the only card item I have scanned at the moment. This is a variation to the 1984 Donruss Champions card set. These were postcard sized cards, similar to the Donruss Action All-Stars issue that was introduced the prior year. Never really that popular, this oversized set was also apparently printed in massive quantities, as it is extremely easy to find. I still know very little about the grey backed copy I have. I bought it on ebay years ago. It may have been a test run, as the regular issue cards have the white backs. It seems to have been rolled up at one point, with some light surface creasing. I remember the seller selling others at the time, but this is the only one I bought. I have not really search for others since.

There it is, my quick memory of 1984. Let's see some more...

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
1984 in football had some huge HOF rookies, baseball had Donnie Baseball rookies and basketball was Star and only Star

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Loved the '84 Topps design better than the '83, and both had two pics, which was a big deal at the time.

And I remember seeing Fleer Update at the LCS but not having enough money to get any...

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I bought my first cassette with my own money that year. Van Halen 1984 of course.

I was 8 and not yet into cards. I dont remember getting many cards until 1985 Topps Football. I love the 1984 Topps and Donruss.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
I was PCSing (transferring) from my first duty assignment in the U.K. to Little Rock AFB. Here I met a card collector who got my interest in collecting started after a long hiatus. I've been collecting on and off since then.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
<========

i was was collecting full swing by then, having started in '82. The Yanks were good, not great, with Winfield and Nettles being my faves. The emergence of Mattingly gave us all hope.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
1984 Topps was a nice looking set. I don't have a lot of the cards, but I do have all of the Phillies cards from that set. This will probably be the next Topps set that I plan to collect. 1984 Fleer was pretty cool. I like how they numbered their cards and the reverse of the cards were easy to read. The front of the cards was just ok. I did like the front of the 1984 Donruss cards though.

WaxPax

Your making me feel really old.

+1 on the feeling old....I was 20 and it was the first year my dad and I got season tickets for the Mets. We had the tickets in sec 19 Lodge level at Shea until 1995 when I moved to NJ....I clearly remember the Mattingly Strawberry hype with Topps that year....fun times

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
1984....... Ah yes 1984. I was in full swing set making. This was the first year I put together more than one set. Turning 13 maybe I had more $ then the previous years. I remember putting these sets in weird pages unlike any other year. A weird type of plastic page. I think I still have a set in these pages. The Mattingly Strawberry hype was big here in CT. I do remember clearly finding a 1984 rak pack at a gas station well into 1985 and pulling a Mattingly. I still think of that when I drive by that gas station. I was pretty loyal to Topps and didn't start getting the other brands until later in the 80s. I did get my first '84 Donruss Mattingly from my mom for Christmas but it was after '84. Here are a few I still have. The Donruss in the big holder was the one my mom bought me:
image-14.jpg

image-15.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I was about nine at the time. I lived in the suburbs in Salem, OR and had very limited access to shopping - a handful of grocery stores and convenience stores. Maybe twice a year would I get to visit an actual card shop. I was ready to spend all my allowance on packs and candy, but I just couldn't find cards anywhere in 1984. This was a big departure from 1983 (my first year of collecting) when I could find Topps and Fleer just about anywhere. I did get a few packs of 1984 Topps and Fleer and being a big Mattingly fan I was able to trade for his Fleer and Topps RCs. But ANY Donruss card seemed like a rarity. I feel like 1984 was almost like a year off...

But in my neighborhood 1985 was a big year. The hype of Strawberry and Gooden reinvigorated the hobby for me and my friends. And for some reason the 85 Topps Olympic cards excited us.

Members online

Latest posts