Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many little bat slivers do you think a game used bat contains?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Thinking about all of the bat cards I have, how many little bat slivers do you think a card company can get from a game used bat? No idea what this could be, but it gets me thinking... what if a company produced more cards than they have bat slivers or jersey pieces in inventory...?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
The general numbers I heard thrown around at Topps were 2000 pieces from a bat and 1200 from a jersey (the latter having more variation due to size differences).

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
... what if a company produced more cards than they have bat slivers or jersey pieces in inventory...?

I believe Topps already does. We know they do redemptions for cards that there is no supporting auto stickers in inventory to make the card and we know Topps does redemptions for relics too, so obviously putting cards on a checklist for which they don't have any bat or jersey relics to put on the card.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Unless it's a surface piece of a bat, I just assume the wood chip is from some white ash 2x4 Topps picked up at Lowes. The language on the cards these days isn't even hedging on the side of the wood chip being part of a bat, just that it "is not from any specific game, event or season". Basically the disclaimer means "this card contains a piece of wood" and nothing more.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Unless it's a surface piece of a bat, I just assume the wood chip is from some white ash 2x4 Topps picked up at Lowes. The language on the cards these days isn't even hedging on the side of the wood chip being part of a bat, just that it "is not from any specific game, event or season". Basically the disclaimer means "this card contains a piece of wood" and nothing more.

I've seen this argument a lot, but all of the recent Topps relic cards I've seen state specifically "Game-Used Memorabilia" on the front. Their standard disclaimer on the back states, "The relic contained in this card is not from any specific game, event, or season." It doesn't say it's not from any specific person, so Topps is still indicating it's a piece of an item used by Player X in a game. I assume this disclaimer is because they were getting lawsuits from people because the jersey piece wasn't the exact one from the picture on the card, or it was a Yankees jersey when the player was pictured wearing a Red Sox jersey, or it's not an actual World Series-worn jersey on those yearly World Series cards, or it's not the actual bat Robin Yount got his 3,000th hit with or something.

The REAL problem with the disclaimer is what Topps considers "used" and "game". If Randy Johnson wore a jersey sitting in the dugout during his 4th day of rest, I'm sure Topps considers it "game-used" even though he didn't play in the game. When Ted Williams managed the Senators he wore those uniforms during games. And what about a game? We may only consider it a true game-used jersey if it was worn during the 162-game season or the playoffs, but spring training games are officially MLB sanctioned games. How about minor league games? How about that old-timers game I saw when I was a kid before an A's game?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Or perhaps an intense game of Monopoly? Game used none the less I suppose
This is funny. I'm picturing a Topps rep watching Trout and Pujols playing Xbox in the Spring Training clubhouse, sweating because they are wearing 20 jerseys layered on top of each other

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
This is funny. I'm picturing a Topps rep watching Trout and Pujols playing Xbox in the Spring Training clubhouse, sweating because they are wearing 20 jerseys layered on top of each other

I actually don't think that's too far off. Wasn't there something in the NFL not too long ago where players were at some NFL event and were wearing multiple jerseys and constantly switching and wearing more so the card company involved could say they were "event used."

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I actually don't think that's too far off. Wasn't there something in the NFL not too long ago where players were at some NFL event and were wearing multiple jerseys and constantly switching and wearing more so the card company involved could say they were "event used."
Yeah, they do this at rookie shoots pretty consistently. Not only that, but the jerseys are HUGE and contain multiple of the same patches so there is more to slice up and use. "Event worn" is a joke. Leaf even brought jerseys for players to wear during a signing, and then put the simple "player worn" on cards. I think that was for Valiant but am not certain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts