Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Get a load of this seller...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Kinda long... But I think its worth reading.

2 weeks ago I see this listing for a 97 Pinnacle gold coin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeff-Bagwel...EoqNvTdXz2fUw59LNEcKk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I am unsure of it really being gold or not, especially since the price is so low. But I figured maybe it will be one of those auctions that slips thru the cracks and its a steal. So I message the seller since his listing says to message him with any questions. I never get a response, and soon the end is near. I decide to take a chance and Bid on it.

Well, it arrived today, sealed in a plastic case with packing tape. Now that it is in my hands I can see that it is just the Brass Coin, and not the gold as listed. So I contact the seller:

Dear fp2e,

I received my coin today, and I believe this is the base Brass coin, not the gold. You have sealed it with packing tape which i do not want to break, so that you dont think I am trying to switch out the coin.

I had originally messaged you while this listing was active asking if it was really the gold coin, to which you never responded. So I took a chance and bid on it.

My question for you is this - Do you remember if it said gold on the back or not? The gold coins say Gold Plate on them under the word Limited Edition.

Or do I have your permission to break your tape seal and check for myself?

- astrobag5

Dear astrobag5,

Feel free to open the case. I did not respond to your initial question because I was unsuccessful at removing the coin from the case I received it in. As a result, I could not definitely answer your original question.
-fp2e

- fp2e

Unsuccessful at removing the coin? Couldnt confirm if his listing was accurate? Geez. So I open it...

Dear fp2e,

I opened the case, and my assumption was correct. This is not the gold version your listing advertised. This is indeed the base brass coin.

- astrobag5

I wait a few minutes for a response, then I send this:

Dear fp2e,

So...

I too am a seller on ebay, and I know what an "Item not as described" return can do to a rating. That is one of the reasons why I didnt act like most buyers and flip out with a nasty return and a negative feedback before I even contacted you.

Obviously, I wish to have a refund. Since it was listed incorrectly, I am willing to mail it back, but at your expense.

Please let me know what you wish the next step to be.

- astrobag5

And then this comes in to my inbox...

Dear astrobag5,

Don t bother sending the item back. I ll issue a full refund. Next time, don t buy something if you are uncertain as to whether to purchase an item. Please do not buy any of my auctions ever again as I will personally cancel out all of your bids. Dealing with you has been nothing short of a hassle. I have sold a few hundred items on Ebay, and you re the only buyer who has requested an item be returned. By the way, my auctions state that all shipping for returns are to be paid by the buyer!
- fp2e

- fp2e

I was shocked! This is definitely, to me, one of those "escalated quickly" type moments. So I sent one final response:

Dear fp2e,

Frankly, I am stunned at your response.

I tried contacting you during the auction to which you never responded, even though in your listing it said to message with questions.

You listed it as gold, which it was not. If you are unsure of what your item is, then maybe you shouldnt be listing it.

I contacted you in a polite, fellow seller to fellow seller manner, and you consider it a hassle? I may be the only person you have sold to asking for a refund, but lets turn the tables here. Wouldnt you want a refund if the item you received was not the one listed?

And in case you did not know, if a buyer used ebays "item not as described" return, the return fees would be coming from your end.

You can block me if you wish, but I feel that I should not be slandered in this manner. Thank you for my refund, and I will not be purchasing anything else from you in the future.

- astrobag5

Now the question for the group is...

Neg Feedback? Ding the Item not as Described? Move on and do nothing?

What would you do?

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
From the description, it doesn't sound like the seller doesn't know any better [it's a coin that looks like it's gold, so he lists it as such, not like he is described the coin as coming from a specific parallel] - so while you maybe pissed, you're the one that took the chance.

I would chalk it up to the seller being ignorant - as in he doesn't know as opposed to trying to maliciously deceiving an advanced collector.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He's offering a refund and telling you to keep the coin. He's a little frustrated but keeps his tone largely civil. I don't think there's a reason to give a neutral.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Not a negative in my book - but unless I was feeling really generous I'd leave a neutral and a bad mark for item description and an even worse mark for communication. At the end of the day the item was completely misrepresented (accidental or not) and the seller wound up losing out on a grand total of $5 for his complete error. The way he responded would irk me more than the misrepresentation itself

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Neutral...it certainly wasn't a "positive" experience and he did offer a refund and you keep the item, so I don't think that warrants a neg.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
fwiw , neutral or negative won't really make a difference and neither will matter if you ding the dsr's.....the new ebay system allows a seller to receive one "defect" per transaction ...that can be in the form of a negative feedback , a neutral feedback , a dsr of 3 or lower for item as described , a dsr of 2 or lower in any of the other 3 categories , or any virtually communication sent by the buyer using the ask a question link (only the final two options from the list which will not incur a defect when submitting a question about a closed listing)...you could leave nasty negative and all 1's , and he'd still get tapped just once (thought the negative feedback comment may scare away a few of his potential customers while the blow dealt to his defect rate would not be seen by buyers)

personally , i would either go with either a neutral or a positive (noting a refund for a misidentified item) with a light tap on the dsr's for description and communication....

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Positive feedback here. You took a chance, you're out 5 bucks, and you still have a coin of a player you collect.

You're expecting a seller who didn't even put "Pinnacle" in the title to know the difference between the types of coins? Good grief. From his point of view, he sent exactly what he listed.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Positive feedback here. You took a chance, you're out 5 bucks, and you still have a coin of a player you collect.

You're expecting a seller who didn't even put "Pinnacle" in the title to know the difference between the types of coins? Good grief. From his point of view, he sent exactly what he listed.

BINGO! You're not out of anything and gained a brass coin in the process. I think you just got butt hurt because he didn't kiss your behind like you expected. So he made a mistake listing it and he made it right by giving you a full refund (which is cheaper than paying postage to mail it back). Get over it and move on.

Why you think it's mandatory to leave feedback is beyond me. So things didn't work out on this transaction but like I stated above, you gambled and won a brass coin. The seller did everything short of paying you for your time sorting through eBay and find items.

I think you're just looking for a reason to leave feedback because you're not happy with his response. If you were expecting him to issue a full refund, apologize to you and kiss your behind because he made a mistake, He definitely DID NOT do that.

At the end of the day, you're ego is the only one that matters....

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Not a negative in my book - but unless I was feeling really generous I'd leave a neutral and a bad mark for item description and an even worse mark for communication. At the end of the day the item was completely misrepresented (accidental or not) and the seller wound up losing out on a grand total of $5 for his complete error. The way he responded would irk me more than the misrepresentation itself

Bingo. This is what bugged me more than anything. And is really the reason I posted it here in the first place, to get other opinions on the matter. I havent left any feedback, and wont be. My ego doesnt need the validation of screwing his feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts