Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LESTER is a CUB $155mil for 6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/mlb/baseball?rw=1

Jon Lester is signing with the Cubs for six years and $155 million, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal and Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan are reporting.
According to Passan, the Red Sox offered $135 million for six years. It's certainly the right call for Lester; it's not like the Red Sox lacked the ability to match the Cubs offer and the Cubs' future is probably brighter anyway. He'll lead a rotation that also includes Jake Arrieta and Jason Hammel.

Last edited:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Awesome pickup by the Cubs. Great to see a pitcher like Lester pick the Cubs over teams like the Red Sox, Giants, and Dodgers. I'm really happy for the long suffering Cubs fans. They really have a reason to be happy about "next year".

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I have a feeling that if the Sox even offered $150m Cubs would have went up to $170m or guaranteed the 7th year. They were determined to get Lester. Wish Lester the best of luck in Chicago and I'm glad he is in the NL so we don't have to face him.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Great acquisition by the Cubs. Lester is a true staff ace and, even more rare, an ace lefty. Good chance he stays elite for the majority of the contract. Cubs should be in wild card contention next year with a chance for more.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Being a Cubs fan, I love this signing, but is anyone worried about a contract this long and this big for a 31 year old pitcher?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Being a Cubs fan, I love this signing, but is anyone worried about a contract this long and this big for a 31 year old pitcher?

You have to consider the alternatives. Shields is 33 years old, you'll have to sign him for at least 4 years, and starting to decline a bit. Scherzer is 30, has Boras as an agent, and wants $200 million. To get Hamels, who is 30 years old, you have to part with an elite prospect or two, rather than the Ricketts' cash. Lester was the by far the best option this year, even at these dollars. Otherwise, you go into the season with a rotation that really cannot compete with the Cards, Brewers, and Pirates.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
You have to consider the alternatives. Shields is 33 years old, you'll have to sign him for at least 4 years, and starting to decline a bit. Scherzer is 30, has Boras as an agent, and wants $200 million. To get Hamels, who is 30 years old, you have to part with an elite prospect or two, rather than the Ricketts' cash. Lester was the by far the best option this year, even at these dollars. Otherwise, you go into the season with a rotation that really cannot compete with the Cards, Brewers, and Pirates.

Another reason Lester was more attractive was the fact that he would not cost the Cubs a draft pick. Lester was the right choice, given the other options mentioned above.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
We are in an era where the dollars are often not the most important component. Not too many elite pitchers are hitting the FA market. While IMO Lester is not a true ace (although he pitched like one last year) he's a really good pitcher with a great playoff track record. Was the price high? Sure. Was there a better option available? I don't think so taking everything into consideration as far as age, length of contract etc.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Great acquisition by the Cubs. Lester is a true staff ace and, even more rare, an ace lefty. Good chance he stays elite for the majority of the contract. Cubs should be in wild card contention next year with a chance for more.

True, Lester is a true ace and this is a great pick up for the Cubs. I have to question if this is the correct time for the Cubs to push in though. The Cubs are stocked with position players in their system. They are young, exciting and full of promise. Truth of the matters though, they are slow and do not do a great job in run creation. They finished last season with a record of 73-89. I think it is unrealistic to think this team as it stands, even with adding Lester, can be above a .500 team next season. Projecting upward for the 2016 season as well, I can then see them in the playoff mix but that certainly will be a tough climb considering their division. To me, that is two wasted years of Lester at a high expense for the team. Leaving four years of realistic playoff projection on his six year contract. Those will be his 33-36 year old seasons. Lester is coming off one of his best seasons of his career, arguably his best. The Cubs are paying heavily for that. It is unrealistic to think he will maintain that level going forward, especially after the next two seasons when the Cubs will realistically be in the mix.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
True, Lester is a true ace and this is a great pick up for the Cubs. I have to question if this is the correct time for the Cubs to push in though. The Cubs are stocked with position players in their system. They are young, exciting and full of promise. Truth of the matters though, they are slow and do not do a great job in run creation. They finished last season with a record of 73-89. I think it is unrealistic to think this team as it stands, even with adding Lester, can be above a .500 team next season. Projecting upward for the 2016 season as well, I can then see them in the playoff mix but that certainly will be a tough climb considering their division. To me, that is two wasted years of Lester at a high expense for the team. Leaving four years of realistic playoff projection on his six year contract. Those will be his 33-36 year old seasons. Lester is coming off one of his best seasons of his career, arguably his best. The Cubs are paying heavily for that. It is unrealistic to think he will maintain that level going forward, especially after the next two seasons when the Cubs will realistically be in the mix.

Listening to MLB chnl, it doesnt sound like they are done adding players.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Call me crazy but I don't think Lester will be as successful in the NL. I can't stress enough what a red flag his inability to throw to a base will be in the NL. If you are unable to hold runners on and field your position in the NL you are in big trouble.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Listening to MLB chnl, it doesnt sound like they are done adding players.

There's no one the Cubs could add to make them a playoff team in 2015. Maybe 2016 as well, unless Wineglass Joe is going to somehow convince Trout, Kershaw and Felix Hernandez to come aboard.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I always knew Lester would not be back with the SOX. Their rotation is not looking to good

Members online