Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

89 Topps Traded Tiffany Griffey RC help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I feel like this is a Tiffany, but could use some assurance (or a no) from you fellas. I'm sure some of you are more familiar with it, than I am. I scanned it front and back, next to an 89 Topps Bonds. Front is super glossy and white, not grayish like the regular set. Back is much brighter than the regular set, and it has the extra asterisk. I know, the asterisk isn't a for sure thing, just a rumor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418262876.453757.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418262893.137474.jpg

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
What rumor? All 1989 Topps Traded and Tiffany cards have them.

I know I had stated that once, but I think it was disproven. I know for sure that's how you could tell the 86 traded Tiffany's apart. It should have a slick feeling to them, as the traded where a bit brighter to begin with.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
The asterisks comment was just added as sarcasm. Sorry about it not being clear. There's some statements about all Tiffany's having an extra one, but it's just incorrect.
[MENTION=4030]michaelstepper[/MENTION] I will likely send it with my January group sub, to BGS.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
All the '89 traded cards have the lighter more vivid colored backs and are made with a slight better paper stock. The tiffany version will have a gloss on the front from better paper stock and ink. The centering on the cutting will be almost perfect as they made sure that the tiffany versions were manufactured with better quality controls.

Fordman

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
My Tiffany card has a glossy surface and bright/much easier to read back.Much better quality than the crappy base set.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Thanks Brad. Can I ask what makes you 100%?

Whiteness of the borders, brightness of the back. If it's glossy, it's Tiffany. Seen my share of 89 Tiffany Mark Grace's. Those scans are very clear.

I only have the fronts scanned of Grace, but you can see a brighter white border. The base 89 have are off-white in comparison.

89TOPPS.jpg
89TOPPSTIFFANY.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Don't think you can compare base 89 with a tiffany.

All base 89 are grey cardboard stock while all NON TIFFANY as well as TIFFANY traded cards used white stock.

Upload a video to YouTube of the card under a light shining the surface

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
The Tiffany sets may be the dumbest thing Topps has done. 15,000 cards printed (in 89TT) with very minimal difference. Seems like the only real difference between TT and TT Tiff is the glossy front. I've been checking out scans on Google images and ebay. Everything else seems to match up. Just the whiter, more glossy front. That said, I had a regular griff in a 9.5 slab a year ago, [MENTION=2413]MojoDan[/MENTION] has it now. I recall it having a less bright back. Maybe i can get dan to scan the back for me.

Either way, I am going to sit on this one until January. Have another group sub going out then. It will grade well (easy 9, IMHO) and will be no questioning it once it's slabbed.

Greatly appreciate all the input from you guys. I'll try to keep the thread updated with any new info I find.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Don't Tiffanies also say "Printed in Ireland" in fine print on the back? Or was that just one year? I think that was something about how you told 85T McGwires apart.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts