Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NYY - Headley 4yrs/52MM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Other than Brett Gardner, I cannot think of a single Yankee hitter who isn't past their prime.

PS: Gregorious cannot hit and probably won't have a prime.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Not a bad deal comparitively. Pablo got 95 million, Headley got 50 million. Virtually half price of Pablo.

I think this takes them out of the market for Scherzer or Shields.

I'm still not convinced this team will flounder. I'm a little disappointed that they won't let Refsnyder get a shot at 2B but it looks like the lineup it pretty much set.

Gardner
Ellsbury
Prado
McCann
Beltran
Tex
Headley
ARod
Gregorious

This is not a bad lineup. Gardner, Ells and Prado are as good as a 123 in the East IMO. McCann showed quite a bit of pop last year and I think getting rid of K Long will help drastically. The key to this team, as I've said over and over is the health of Beltran and Teixeira. If Beltran can go back to what he was doing before he crashed over the wall, we will have a very good 5 hitter. If he can get back to 280-20 hrs-80rbis. It's clear last year was an anomaly. Hopefully Tex can stay healthy.

The Yanks are clearly focused on Defense after last years pathetic showing.

The yanks are one of the if not the best defensive team in the AL IMO. Only weak spot is RF with Beltran. and IF of McCann, Tex, Prado, Headley, Gregorious and an OF of Gardner and Ells will make up for Beltran. I'm getting excited for this year.

Everyone is counting out the Yanks but this team will be fun to watch. They definitely got better from last year by a long shot. Their goal needs to be 90 wins and I think they can make it pending the health of this team.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Edit to my above post.

Still worried about pitching. Pitching wasn't bad next year but they are relying on Tanaka, pineda, Sabathia, and who else to man the rotation? Phelps? He's never looked like a starter.

I like the Yankees will swing a trade for a mid rotation guy and if they truly want to contend need to go for Scherzer although I hope they don't because that contract will be awful and their is better pitching on the market next year.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Edit to my above post.

Still worried about pitching. Pitching wasn't bad next year but they are relying on Tanaka, pineda, Sabathia, and who else to man the rotation? Phelps? He's never looked like a starter.

I like the Yankees will swing a trade for a mid rotation guy and if they truly want to contend need to go for Scherzer although I hope they don't because that contract will be awful and their is better pitching on the market next year.

They need to pick up another starter or three. Sabathia has fallen off drastically. So bad that they are really hoping that he can at least be middle of the rotation material. Pineda/Nova health? Phelps/Warren. Potential? Not looking good right now. Any setback with Tanaka would be bad.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Solid signing with good value. He is not going to light it up offensively with batting average but he has some value with his power and a little speed. His main value is his defense. Remember run creation is important but so is run prevention. There is a reason Sandoval got a huge contract and that is because the market is thin at this position.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
They need to pick up another starter or three. Sabathia has fallen off drastically. So bad that they are really hoping that he can at least be middle of the rotation material. Pineda/Nova health? Phelps/Warren. Potential? Not looking good right now. Any setback with Tanaka would be bad.
Yeah. I'm not too worried about Pineda. Thats about it lol. Tanaka needs to remain healthy and we have to hope Sabathia can be an average #3 starter. Warren will likely still be in the bullpen (at least thats what I hope as he has not been good as a starter). I would love to see what Banuelos and Severino can do during Spring. They need to sign two more starters period to even think of contending. Pineda, Tanaka, Sabathia is all they have after dealing Greene. Nova isn't expected back for a few months I believe and Phelps has never been great although he can be a very OKAY #5 starter.

It's going to be rough if they don't find some pitching. Even so, I'm looking forward to watching this defense and offense this year. Should be good.
Solid signing with good value. He is not going to light it up offensively with batting average but he has some value with his power and a little speed. His main value is his defense. Remember run creation is important but so is run prevention. There is a reason Sandoval got a huge contract and that is because the market is thin at this position.
His main value is his defense. He is an absolute stud as a defender and it looks like the Yanks are going for more Defense than Offense now. That IF is insanely good defensively with Tex, Prado, Gregorious, and Headley. Gardner and Ellsbury might be the best OF combo in the bigs with how much ground they cover and McCann is always solid behind the plate. Only weak spot is Beltran. Headley also batted much better in NY with that short porch.

IMO I wouldn't be surprised to see him bat 260-270 20-25 hrs and 70-80 rbis as well as play outstanding defense
It looks like Arod will be the most expensive bench warmer/pinch hitter of all time unless he wins the DH job.

I used to think that we needed to play ARod no matter what because of his salary. I'm glad that the coaching staff is starting to rethink that. He MAY be okay as a league average DH but thats all we need him to be. DH 5 days a week and hopefully bat 240-250 with a little pop. I expect him to be in the 8th spot in the lineup anyways.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
With this signing this all but solidifies AROD as DH. What would happen if AROD decides to announce his retirement after the season starts? Does he still get his full contract?

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
With this signing this all but solidifies AROD as DH. What would happen if AROD decides to announce his retirement after the season starts? Does he still get his full contract?

I would think not. But why would he do that? He likely will stay on until he physically can't play or what not anymore. He will be a DH/Back UP 1B/Bench Player.

Obviously that salary sucks, but having him as a DH batting 8th he should be above average.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ

This x5. I never thought as C.C. as an ace or a true number one, I always thought of him as a glorified innings eater. What big start did he ever lock down the other team? He one hits the Padres or the Pirates but gives up 4 in 7 innings to everybody else. Not and ace on his best day and now he has a degenerative knee condition? I will be shocked if he makes 22 starts this year.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
This x5. I never thought as C.C. as an ace or a true number one, I always thought of him as a glorified innings eater. What big start did he ever lock down the other team? He one hits the Padres or the Pirates but gives up 4 in 7 innings to everybody else. Not and ace on his best day and now he has a degenerative knee condition? I will be shocked if he makes 22 starts this year.

C.C. never an ace? If you say so. He has only been one of the most dominate pitchers for a decade and one of the all-time greats among left handed pitchers. He might be an innings eater now but you seem to suffer from short term memory. This is his first injury where he has missed much time. If he gets a few more average production seasons under his belt, his next stop will be Cooperstown.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012

Gah you must have been living in a cave for the past ten years.
C.C. never an ace? If you say so. He has only been one of the most dominate pitchers for a decade and one of the all-time greats among left handed pitchers. He might be an innings eater now but you seem to suffer from short term memory. This is his first injury where he has missed much time. If he gets a few more average production seasons under his belt, his next stop will be Cooperstown.

Sabathia was a STUD for many many years. Remember when he went to the Brewers? He SINGLE handedly took them to the playoffs. He has always been a stud.

The problem is he lost some miles on his Fastball so now it sits around 88-91 which is hittable when he misses spots which happened a lot last year. If he can give us 20-25 starts with a 3.5 era I'll be happy.

Members online

Latest posts