Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cut auto rant and a suggestion to the card companies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I know I am preaching to the choir here but it is an absolute embarrassment that contained in products that cost hundreds of dollars a pack, are cut autographs that look like a 5 year old might have put them together. First of all, the person at Topps who approved a design for cut autos in these sets without a picture of the player should be evaluated to determine if they can do their job. It's an incredibly poor decision that makes these cards look more similar to poorly done custom cards than a top of the line set.

$_57.JPG

$_12.JPG

The contrast is startling when you consider that many of the cards in these sets are really great looking cards such as these:

$_57.JPG

Now for some free consulting advice for the card companies:

The obvious challenge with cut signatures is that each signature is a different size and shape. Some players sign very large, while others sign much smaller. Some are tall while others are short.

In general though, with enough effort, cut signatures that are clean, sharp and fit to size can be found, although it would take a bit of work.

In my eyes though, there is a simple solution. When working with the network of dealers that I am sure Topps is working with, provide the dealers with the specific size windows that you are working with. You can even give them dummy cards so that they can check for themselves if they fit.

The ingredients to an absolutely epic, blockbuster high-end set are pretty simple. Get some nice game-used with good provenance (and build media attention around the acquisitions are the uniforms and the like... believe me, everyone in the card world will pay attention). Add some cut autographs that are aesthetically pleasing. Include images of the players and a nice design and I guarantee you will have a hit on your hands.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Agree! Topps puts no effort into their cuts. They are absolutely horrid.
Several legendary cuts sets had borderless cut areas, or if it was smaller they added a border. I've seen 2004' with this exception many times

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Upper Deck was the one to always do cut autographs right, Donruss/Panini seem to be the best GU wise (in comparison to the other companies over time baseball wise) and Topps is the best prospecting wise - all my own opinions of course :) I do agree though, regardless of how high end the new Topps stuff is, they have certainly killed the visual appeal of cut autos across the board. Windows hardly ever match right, and the no pictures thing over the last few years has been annoying. Sure it might cost money license wise depending on the player, but if you are the only company with an MLB license you should at least let the visual memories of all the old time greats be a no brainer addition to the card.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Five star has gorgeous looking cards and
Great looking barrels.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Topps tries to do to much of the same stuff in every product. Not every set needs jumbo relics, or knobs or cuts or barrels.. it's watered down the uniqueness and want/need for a certain product.
How long until golden age material dries up anyway?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
In my eyes though, there is a simple solution. When working with the network of dealers that I am sure Topps is working with, provide the dealers with the specific size windows that you are working with. You can even give them dummy cards so that they can check for themselves if they fit.
My main point, buried amongst the rant. Thoughts?

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
My main point, buried amongst the rant. Thoughts?

This makes sense. In the early years of UD Legendary cuts I think they did a relatively good job of this. If an auto was already cut they would do their best to shape it to look presentable and usually ensure that the majority of the signature was in the window. It wasn't perfect, but they put effort into it.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
For something like Dynasty or 5 Star Topps should be making each individual "window"....there shouldn't be a common size.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
For something like Dynasty or 5 Star Topps should be making each individual "window"....there shouldn't be a common size.

Especially for the higher-end cuts.

It wouldn't be too hard for each "assembler" to have a handful of dies that they could use to punch the hole. Just several sizes of squares, rectangles, and circles would cover most everything. Quickly eyeball the cut, gauge which die would give the best aesthetic, and punch it. The value it'd create in variety of sizes/shapes could be huge.

On the other hand, since they must have minimum wage labor handling these expensive cuts, that might end up costing an extra $0.65 per high-end card. :rolleyes:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Especially for the higher-end cuts.

It wouldn't be too hard for each "assembler" to have a handful of dies that they could use to punch the hole. Just several sizes of squares, rectangles, and circles would cover most everything. Quickly eyeball the cut, gauge which die would give the best aesthetic, and punch it. The value it'd create in variety of sizes/shapes could be huge.

On the other hand, since they must have minimum wage labor handling these expensive cuts, that might end up costing an extra $0.65 per high-end card. :rolleyes:

Different cards....different windows...same product = smashing success and following for product.

04-2011-12-Panini-Preferred-Basketball-Silhouette-Kobe-Bryant-10-216x300.jpg

panini-preferred_silhoutte_kd_2-of-5.jpg

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
They don't care what it looks like....just that they can say "look at us, we have an autograph of ____ in this product."

Members online

Latest posts