Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has the card market been a bit soft recently?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'll begin with a caveat that I am not buying anything that was just recently released.

That said...

Almost across the board on the cards I am looking to buy it seems like prices have been pretty soft. I've been targeting HOF Game Used items and I've been pretty surprised to been finding Babe Ruth Jersey cards from some of the early sets (back when companies put the image of the jersey on the back etc.) for under $200. I even found a dual bat/jersey with a pinstripe for under $200. This is a quite a bit less than I recall them being months ago.

On the rookie autograph side I've also been finding the market pretty weak as well. I recently say blue refractors of Stanton and Posey (2 of the hottest names right now) sell for under $400 apiece. I picked up a Posey Gold Ref Auto 9.5 for $1250. Around a year ago I got pretty close to that for a Posey Gold Ref BGS 9, and as a player he's getting more attention than he was then.

Anyone else finding this the case for the cards they are looking at? And if so, any thoughts on why it might be?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
For the game used, I think people have been so conditioned to Topps' "not from any game or season" disclaimer that they don't remember older stuff (esp DLP) IS game used. Good for the collector. Bad for the investor I guess.

As for Stanton, he's seen about a 20% jump from the beginning of the season. I'm not complaining, they're still relatively cheap. I personally think Trout (and Harper...Jesus) are wildly overpriced. And I have like $10k in him

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah. Across the board by the looks of it. Really hard to lay off some things I shouldn't be buying lol

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I thought maybe it was just Dawson stuff since that is all I look at, but I have been getting his stuff cheaper than usual and I only buy it if it is cheap to begin with. I'm loving it. Of course there are still those asking for their usual prices and not selling anything. I was chalking it up to holiday spending not being spent on cards.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I agree things have been going for a bit less than normal, but isn't that the case every year right before Christmas? Last week and this week are my favorite times to buy cards as it seems some nice stuff will pop up, probably from people wanting a little extra Christmas money. I agree some of those early Ruth cards are very nice, congratulations on your pickup.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
good question about the market. Who knows if it's the sameness of a lot of the "high end" newer releases hurting purchase prices or if there really is a soft card market.

It's just sweet to pick up a topps tribute Goldschmidt auto for $10'ish and a Immaculate Tulo auto for $7.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I agree things have been going for a bit less than normal, but isn't that the case every year right before Christmas? Last week and this week are my favorite times to buy cards as it seems some nice stuff will pop up, probably from people wanting a little extra Christmas money. I agree some of those early Ruth cards are very nice, congratulations on your pickup.

It definitely is an annual occurrence but some of the prices never cease to surprise

Members online