Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Huge Paypal disaster, need advice asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I listed my Trout blue on Tuesday in hopes that it would sell so I could buy a Stanton 1/1. I was getting a check today that would cover it, but didn't want to risk losing it. I ended up selling the Trout a bit low, and the guy paid me direct on Tuesday evening. I told him yesterday morning that he'd have the card by Friday. If I didn't get a chance to send it Priority yesterday, I'd overnight it this morning. I got tied up at work and wasn't able to get to the PO yesterday. I also didn't respond to his emails asking for tracking because I was slammed at work, so that's on me.

When I got home yesterday and checked my email, I had a paypal dispute opened which was upgraded to a claim by the time I saw it. Now, this was paid for on Tuesday around 10 pm, long after mail services closed. 18 HOURS later, I get a claim....seriously?! How in the hell can paypal open a claim before the item had a chance to be delivered?

I went and picked up the check to deposit this morning, and the second I got to the office I attempted to print a shipping label so I could send it to PP. Apparently it's not offered once the case is escalated. Ran to the PO to mail it, and while I was waiting in line I paid for a $750 card. Paypal charged my card over $3500. Thank ****ing god I'd deposited that check, otherwise it would have screwed up my bank account (again!)

I walked out of the PO. The hell if I'm gonna be out over $3k and out the card as well.

I have not called paypal yet. I will after work.

...how the hell do I proceed? In the Resolution Center I can either offer a refund or provide tracking. My balance currently reads
bdkuop.jpg

Before I paid for the $750 card, it showed this:
r7p400.jpg

I don't know why it's showing my paypal balance is still -$2864.15 when they just took $2864.15 from my account.

Now, if I refund the guy his money, are they gonna try to take ANOTHER $3k from my bank? Balance is now $0.00 (I later paid for something else, and they took out the exact amount)...if I offer a refund, they'll just use they money they already took, right? I'd rather do that than send the card and be out both.

I'm frankly not sure who to be angrier at, the moron buyer who filed a claim before he could theoretically receive the card, or paypal for allowing a ridiculous claim to go through.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Assuming they placed the money on hold/took it out of you account. If you do the refund it will just use that money. That still leaves you negative until paypal pulls the money from your bank to cover the latest purchases.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I had a similar situation although not anywhere near that amount. I called paypal, they told me its ebay that put my account in the negative. . so maybe you could try ebay. good luck, just so you know my buyer tried to scam me out of the card and money. he was later naurd. and I won the claim.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Assuming they placed the money on hold/took it out of you account. If you do the refund it will just use that money. That still leaves you negative until paypal pulls the money from your bank to cover the latest purchases.

This is spot on, you'll have the negative balance because you paid for the card and once you issue the refund you'll have that exact negative balance. Absolutely don't send the card at this point - I didn't even know it was possible to file a claim in 18 hours, what a freaking joke. Issue the refund, re-list, and block the buyer from the auction. I'd be pissed off as hell at this inconvenience

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
One way he can file so soon if it is filed as a fraud purchase..
Example: If he said someone used his account to buy the card or he did not authorize the purchase.

Once you show it is delievered, the case would be in your favor as paypal is holding your money, not the buyer..
Use signature confirmation and mail it.... If you do not, then he will get his money back because you did not prove your case

Happened to me once , Guy bought the cards from me on Saturday Night and I shipped out the cards on Tuesday and he tried to say he didnt authorize the sale but he bought on ebay and I sent them all the info they wanted and I won the case and he got his cards and they released his funds to me

Good luck.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Man that sucks. I wouldn't send the card at this point, no way. You just don't know if he had buyers remorse, panicked about not hearing from you, or is outright trying to screw you (although you'd think he'd wait until delivery or at least tracking before chargeback if that was the case). Big money deals over the internet can be stressful, best to refund, call it a day and sell it elsewhere. Thankfully you're only going to be inconvenienced in the end

jackson0114

Jan 20, 2012
I recently had this happen. It was through the global shipping program though. The buyer didnt receive, so he filed a claim. I provided the information they needed (tracking, etc) and a week later they made a judgement in my favor. During the time of the dispute however, they deducted the same amount (86$), twice. I dont trust the internet, or paypal, so i keep little to nothing in paypal, and add money with greendot cards or bank transfers. My account was -160$ for an $80 card.

My point is, If you wait it out, upon judgement, your account should straighten out. I believe this is because Ebay deducts the amount, and then Paypal places a hold on that amount too. I think its a bug they never thought to work out.

I hope it works out for you. People suck!

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I would just issue a refund to the guy - what a jerk for opening a claim. I had someone who did the same thing to me, and I blasted him on Blowout for doing it. I'm sorry I don't respond ASAP on a Saturday morning at 4 am.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
It's pretty ridiculous to file a claim that quickly with how Paypal protects its buyers. Sounds like buyers remorse to me, hope you get it sorted out.

Members online

No members online now.