Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Middlebrooks to Be Traded to - (Guess Who) - the Padres

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Source: Padres nearing a deal that would send Ryan Hanigan to Boston for Will Middlebrooks.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Sources: For Preller's next trick, he's going to deal Maybin, Quentin, Smith, Venable and Liriano to the Cubs for Russell, Soler, Schwarber & Bryant.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Tells me the Red Sox have totally soured on Middlebrooks. Still, I like the trade for San Diego since he still has serious potential upside. Hanigan is a solid catcher, though.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Seems like dumping Middlebrooks for Hanigan is a Xmas gift to San Diego.

If Middlebrooks can turn it around even a little bit, this will look like an awful trade for the Sox this Off season. Who knows what the Sox are doing. Signing a slightly above average 3B for 95 million. Signing a 3B/SS to play LF for 90 million? Signing/Trading for a bunch of #4 starters to "strengthen the rotation."

They still need to make some moves or they will be sitting at home in October again.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I haven't watched t.v. in probably 12 hours. Looking at MLB Network now and seeing just a SLEW of new moves. This is unreal and should bring back the buzz for the Friars, which I love !

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
So, although a lot of the Contracts they've traded for are expiring or they're getting help with the Fathers have taken on a ton more in Payroll?

Where is the money coming? New TV contract? Payoff from the new Stadium coming thru?

Or is this a "one-time" spending spree and if it doesn't work, they'll make alot of trades or let players walk?

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
So, although a lot of the Contracts they've traded for are expiring or they're getting help with the Fathers have taken on a ton more in Payroll?

Where is the money coming? New TV contract? Payoff from the new Stadium coming thru?

Or is this a "one-time" spending spree and if it doesn't work, they'll make alot of trades or let players walk?

They likely always had this money available. The new higher ups want to spend and field a winning team. These moves will likely bring in lots more money as well.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I've always been a huge Middlebrooks fan but he just hasn't stayed healthy or played up to his expectations following his rookie season. I still think he has potential and I hope he can finally perform over there in San Diego, but his time here in Boston was limited.

As for the Red Sox side of the deal? VERY happy. We needed a backup catcher and Hanigan is the one guy I wanted the Sox to get last season at the trade deadline...he's a defense first catcher who is one of the better defensive catchers in baseball IMO. Not the best bat, but he does have a career .353 OBP so he's no slouch for a backup catcher. I think a Vazquez/Hanigan catching tandem will work out VERY well for the Sox.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I've always been a huge Middlebrooks fan but he just hasn't stayed healthy or played up to his expectations following his rookie season. I still think he has potential and I hope he can finally perform over there in San Diego, but his time here in Boston was limited.

As for the Red Sox side of the deal? VERY happy. We needed a backup catcher and Hanigan is the one guy I wanted the Sox to get last season at the trade deadline...he's a defense first catcher who is one of the better defensive catchers in baseball IMO. Not the best bat, but he does have a career .353 OBP so he's no slouch for a backup catcher. I think a Vazquez/Hanigan catching tandem will work out VERY well for the Sox.

VERY happy?

I guess I just don't see it. Hanigan is not a very good player. He's okay as a backup catcher but so are plenty of other options for basically nothing. Middlebrooks still has potential and I'm surprised to see the Sox give up on him when his value is at his lowest. Overall, the AL East had a very weird Off season this year. Most teams made very marginal improvements or got worse.

Members online