Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

YANKS TRADE PRADO FOR EOVALDI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees and Marlins are on the verge of a deal that would send Nathan Eovaldi to New York and Martin Prado to Miami.
The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson says that the trade would also include Garrett Jones going to New York and David Phelps going to Miami, and the New York Post's Joel Sherman hears that the Yankees will receive pitching prospect Domingo German. Eovaldi has produced inconsistent results to this point with a 4.07 ERA, but he throws really hard and will turn just 25 in February. The Marlins are expected to put Prado at third base, which means Casey McGehee is headed to the bench. Phelps should slide into Eovaldi's rotation spot in Miami, while Jones looks like a backup option at first base and designated hitter in New York.

On rotoworld

What do you yankee fans think of this? It's like many of you really liked prado. Eovaldi is basically a 5th starter, been injured a little and is he really much better than phelps??

Last edited:

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Jack Curry [MENTION=5951]jackc[/MENTION]urryYES
· 4m 4 minutes ago
To recap, Yankees get Nathan Eovaldi, Garrett Jones, Domingo German for Martin Prado and David Phelps.

0 replies 63 retweets 21 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 63

 Favorite 21

 More

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Do you like the trade??

Jack Curry @jackcurryYES
· 4m 4 minutes ago
To recap, Yankees get Nathan Eovaldi, Garrett Jones, Domingo German for Martin Prado and David Phelps.

0 replies 63 retweets 21 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 63

 Favorite 21

 More

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
I like the trade.

Eovaldi is 24, threw 200 innings, and averages a 96 mph fb, just needs to control it a bit better. Career 3.69 FIP, 4.07 ERA

Phelps is 28, set a career high with 113ip this season, Career 4.2 FIP, 4.2 ERA

Eovaldi gives more stability to the rotation. As for Jones, meh 1B/OF/DHer.

I liked Prado, but now opens the door for Refs or Pirela. Yanks looking to get younger.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
At first I hated this deal. After sitting on it for a bit I love it.

We get Eovaldi who has looked good and will likely be even better with the defense and run support behind him (and is not "basically a fifth starter"). Plus a back up 1B with pop that we needed and a very high upside arm.

Eovaldi will slot in behind Tanaka, Pineda, Sabathia, Eovaldi, ??? (Nova when he comes back). I'm beginning to like our rotation.

I really liked Prado but I don't think the yanks were going to utilize him well. He should be batting 3rd behind Ells and Gardner but I would bet that the Yanks would end up batting him 7th or 8th which depletes his value. He also came with an 11 million salary. Phelps was never very good. Always could throw a couple good innings but would get lit up in the others. I always hated him, he lost us many games last year. The throw in of Domingo German is not just a throw in. Huge upside there.

So to recap: We got a starter (which we needed badly), Added to our much improved farm(which we needed to badly), Got a backup 1B with pop(now McCann, Ryan and Headley don't have to play there thank god), AND Shedded salary.

This is a very very good move for them. We have other guys who can play middle IF (Refs will hopefully win the job, Pirela can back up). We did not have other guys for the rotation. Traded from a surplus to add to someone we were lacking.

This trade gets an A from me.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I like the trade.

Eovaldi is 24, threw 200 innings, and averages a 96 mph fb, just needs to control it a bit better. Career 3.69 FIP, 4.07 ERA

Phelps is 28, set a career high with 113ip this season, Career 4.2 FIP, 4.2 ERA

Eovaldi gives more stability to the rotation. As for Jones, meh 1B/OF/DHer.

I liked Prado, but now opens the door for Refs or Pirela. Yanks looking to get younger.

My thoughts exactly. Eovaldi takes up a rotation spot for the next three plus years and is a much better pitcher than Phelps. Jones will back up Tex and probably play a day or two a week and when Tex gets injured. He's a good throw in. German has a ton of upside.

Hopefully they allow Refs a chance to fully win the job.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I like the trade for the Yankees. Eovaldi has ace-caliber stuff and could be a superstar. He had a terrible second half, but in the first half he was one of the better pitchers in the NL.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Yankees sending $6 to the Marlins as well.
Couple Starbucks venti's is the lynchpin to this deal.

Yanks traded Prado on the strength of that half season, which a lot of fans overvalued. He's been in a steady decline for a bit now and to expect that performance was loony. Now they get a starter that hopefully they can tweak to fully utilize his stuff and free the 2B position for Pirela and Refs. My bet is the more versatile, older Pirela gets that first shot with a good chance to stick as the super utility guy once Beltran or ARod goes down.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Couple Starbucks venti's is the lynchpin to this deal.

Yanks traded Prado on the strength of that half season, which a lot of fans overvalued. He's been in a steady decline for a bit now and to expect that performance was loony. Now they get a starter that hopefully they can tweak to fully utilize his stuff and free the 2B position for Pirela and Refs. My bet is the more versatile, older Pirela gets that first shot with a good chance to stick as the super utility guy once Beltran or ARod goes down.

No way. Refs should easily get the shot over Pirela at 2B. He's hands down the better option. This was a good deal for the Yanks but I think the rest of what you said is just not true.

Refs >>>>> Pirela. And to expect that Beltran will go down, isn't something I would expect. His injury last season was his elbow, not his typical knees. He had surgery and should be fine in RF this year.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I hated it until I saw Prado was making 11 mil. But I was looking forward to a very good defensive infield and a guy who could really help Didi

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
No way. Refs should easily get the shot over Pirela at 2B. He's hands down the better option. This was a good deal for the Yanks but I think the rest of what you said is just not true.

Refs >>>>> Pirela. And to expect that Beltran will go down, isn't something I would expect. His injury last season was his elbow, not his typical knees. He had surgery and should be fine in RF this year.
Um, yes, what I said is basically a fact.
1. Pirela is in fact older.
2. Pirela is in fact more versatile, playing more positions and playing them adequately
3. Beltran is rapidly aging, has become a liability in the field due to speed and the throwing arm issue (this is accepted as fact now)

No where in the statement I made did I say Pirela is better. What I said is that I BET he "gets the FIRST shot". He is a basically a younger super utility than Prado. UTILITY. Refsnyder will likely be the 2B of the future, one they will let get full turns in AAA until they can give him the position and NOT a utility spot on the roster. Yes, right now it appears 2B is open, but right now also I wouldn't count on them handing the position outright to either guy.

I would like to know, again, what I said that is not true. What you're stating is simply opinion. What I stated are theories about what they'll due and also facts.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Um, yes, what I said is basically a fact.
1. Pirela is in fact older.
2. Pirela is in fact more versatile, playing more positions and playing them adequately
3. Beltran is rapidly aging, has become a liability in the field due to speed and the throwing arm issue (this is accepted as fact now)

No where in the statement I made did I say Pirela is better. What I said is that I BET he "gets the FIRST shot". He is a basically a younger super utility than Prado. UTILITY. Refsnyder will likely be the 2B of the future, one they will let get full turns in AAA until they can give him the position and NOT a utility spot on the roster. Yes, right now it appears 2B is open, but right now also I wouldn't count on them handing the position outright to either guy.

I would like to know, again, what I said that is not true. What you're stating is simply opinion. What I stated are theories about what they'll due and also facts.

So because Pirela is older he should get more of a shot than Refs? Gimme a break. Pirela will likely open the season as a bench player with Refs at 2B. If the yanks are smart this is what they will do. Pirela is worse than Refs at 2B as an overall player. That is "fact" as you like to apparently say. Beltran rapidly aging? Because he slammed into a fence and totally messed up his season? You can't be serious. He was a very solid player for us before that happened in Tampa. Look at his years before last. They were good. Beltran will be fine. Gardner and Ellsbury cover more ground in the OF than any tandem in the bigs. You can't have OF's that are insane defensively at every position. He had his elbow issue, had surgery, and is expected to be back at full strength. That is the fact, not what you have said (some lingering shoulder issue is not fact).

It is likely to be an open competition in spring. Nobody will "get the first shot" as you again say. It will be an even competition and Refs should win. Yes, Pirela is super utility, which makes him a much more valuable BENCH player.

If the yankees don't give the position to Refsnyder they are idiots.

You stated 2 facts with the third being an opinion. The 2 facts stated do not give an advantage to Pirela. Thats ridiculous to think that a super utility guy who is older has the inside edge on a younger player who is better. Pirela has the inside edge to being our super utility bench player.

Members online