Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What was your favorite pickup during 2014?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
This is always a fun thread to look through. With the year coming to an end in a week, what was your favorite pickup during 2014? This doesn't doesn't have to be the most valuable addition. Try to limit this to no more than 3.

Here are 2 of mine:

2002 Signing Bonus Phil Rizzuto # 9/10
signingbonus-phil-rizzuto-9-10-pinstripe_zpsfff8e95f.jpg

2002 Signing Bonus Greg Maddux (white) # 19/31
signingbonus-greg-maddux-19-31-white_zpsb53c5e7f-1.jpg

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've shown these a few times recently. From a sheer "impossible to find card" the Banks was one I had never even seen a picture of before and is numbered lower than the others. Aaron is actually one of the "easiest" to find from the set because it is numbered the highest, but it's Hank Aaron! And I've always liked Mathews a lot. To me he's an underrated all-time great.

Banks APOH Auto 10 14.jpg

Aaron APOH Auto 28 44.jpg

Mathews APOH Auto 20 41.jpg

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I've shown these a few times recently. From a sheer "impossible to find card" the Banks was one I had never even seen a picture of before and is numbered lower than the others. Aaron is actually one of the "easiest" to find from the set because it is numbered the highest, but it's Hank Aaron! And I've always liked Mathews a lot. To me he's an underrated all-time great.

I completely agree, but why is that? He played in just 15 full seasons and his numbers are up there with the top 20 best players to have ever played. I collect only Topps certified autos and he has very little available. Those that are available are cheap in comparison to most with similar numbers in the game and limited autos on the market. Are you missing any for set completion?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I completely agree, but why is that? He played in just 15 full seasons and his numbers are up there with the top 20 best players to have ever played. I collect only Topps certified autos and he has very little available. Those that are available are cheap in comparison to most with similar numbers in the game and limited autos on the market. Are you missing any for set completion?

I wasn't around in his playing days so I don't know, but I imagine he may have been overshadowed by Hank Aaron his whole career. (Interestingly on Baseball-Reference he's rated as the 13th best hitter of all time, 2 places higher than Aaron at the time I'm writing this. Of course they have Charlie Gehringer at #20 , so I wouldn't put much stock in it.)

As for his signed cards, he passed away in 2001, so there's not a ton of cards out there for him (and since he had on-card sigs his cuts are not particularly attractive to most people.)

A personal favorite is this card (not from Topps though)
Mathews Jones Back to the Future Auto 45 1500 001.jpgMathews Jones back Back to the Future Auto 45 1500 001.jpg

On the set, I'll never come close to finishing it since the cost is prohibitive for most of the bigger cards (a Ted Williams /9 recently sold for roughly $9000) but it's a fun quest...

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I wasn't around in his playing days so I don't know, but I imagine he may have been overshadowed by Hank Aaron his whole career. (Interestingly on Baseball-Reference he's rated as the 13th best hitter of all time, 2 places higher than Aaron at the time I'm writing this. Of course they have Charlie Gehringer at #20 , so I wouldn't put much stock in it.)

As for his signed cards, he passed away in 2001, so there's not a ton of cards out there for him (and since he had on-card sigs his cuts are not particularly attractive to most people.)

A personal favorite is this card (not from Topps though)
View attachment 44317View attachment 44318

On the set, I'll never come close to finishing it since the cost is prohibitive for most of the bigger cards (a Ted Williams /9 recently sold for roughly $9000) but it's a fun quest...

Very nice card above and a fitting franchise dual. Here is what I have, though this scan is from Ebay.

$_57.JPG

Good luck on the rest of your set and I can see how completing that certainly would be cost prohibitive.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
This should be a bigger thread.

Anyway, here is mine:
front.jpg
I picked back up on my Sandy Alomar Jr. collection this year to do something a little different. I have been solely focused on the Red Sox for years now. This is easily my favorite Alomar in my collection. It is the 2005 Topps Rookie Cup Original Relics card, serial-numbered 3/3. A terrific-looking card.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1419704227.118277.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1419704323.986422.jpg

Those are my two faves that I can think of right now

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1419704288.022830.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1419704288.022830.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 37

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Not too many pik ups since I've retred from collecting, But Was Honored with theses Very Nice Gifts..........
regular sized cards
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

and this Personalized Oversized

Upper-Deck-UDRAK-Ken-Griffey-Jr-Signing-Session-Michael-Doffing-Magicpapa_zps170de8f5.jpg

1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel003_zps6049037a.jpg

Last edited:

Members online