Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Economist on the Baseball Card Bubble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Interesting article, thanks for the share. It doesn't surprise me that something like a hobby would rise/fall with actual economics and the economy involved.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
TL;DR

I got half way through the article and couldn't take the over articulated tripe the writer presented any longer.

Thanks for taking my super awesome and fun hobby and making it sound uber fancy and high brow.

Holy hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
TL;DR

I got half way through the article and couldn't take the over articulated tripe the writer presented any longer.

Thanks for taking my super awesome and fun hobby and making it sound uber fancy and high brow.

Holy hell!

Wow I'm surprised you made it that far, I couldn't bear reading any more after:

Your correspondent fell under the spell of the mania, shelling out what meagre allowance money was available for prized “rookie cards” (those issued for a player’s first professional season), encasing the treasure in hard plastic and then mentally spending the riches that were certain to result. While comparing collections the young punters would swap apocryphal tales of forgotten hoards found in attics or cellars

I can't stand obnoxious writing like this...it manages to be both masturbatory and boastful about their amazing writer skillz at the same time. We're ever so impressed by our correspondent! It's a story about baseball cards, not a story about how you write, you insufferable turd.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Glad I wasn't the only one. I stopped after he felt the need to describe what a baseball card was. Lol

Jun 30, 2010
Exhausting reading..... I feel the need to start talking about RAR, WAR, oWAR, dWar and other value above cost topics about the baseball players we collect for fun and/or profit. Maybee we all need an economist. LOL

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
A baseball card is a rectangular piece of cardboard paper, about the size of a small smartphone, with the picture of a baseball player on one side and his biographical details and statistics on the other.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
That article is sure brilliance, but something I lack, in order to continue reading past the first paragraph.

as I read this, had I not seen the title first, I would have thought the article would have been about drugs. Really I would

FOR evidence that the inclination to barter and truck is in our genes, one need venture no farther than the nearest schoolyard. Lurking within school walls is a thriving economy, which begins with swaps of one lunch item for another and progresses to the flogging of assorted sweets picked up on a weekend run down the candy aisle. Yet the informal economic education goes beyond the mechanics of supply and demand. Often enough it runs to finance: it is on the playground that many children get their first real taste of the temptation of speculation.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What do you expect? It's the ECONOMIST and when I think about that rag, I think of the people writing the articles and reading the articles with their noses up in the air! ;)

Can you think of an economist that relates well to the general public, like how space flight has Mike Massimino, science has Bill Nye or Neil Degrasse Tyson or medicine has (ugh!) Dr. Oz!

Latest posts