Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How is this set not a classic ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1421167745.346195.jpg

I could see a company making a boxed set or something at one point , but was the hobby really looking for this in 1990 ?

Ryan

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There was no limit to what companies made during that period.

I have some promo cards of endangered species among other weird subjects for cardboard.

And yes, I would have "interest" in umpire promo card if they existed...sort of...I guess :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There were Ump cards in 1989 or 1990 Bowman, IIRC, in reference to the 1955 Bowman set. I could see that such a set came out back then also, though I agree boxed sets make way more sense than packs.

Is it just me or do umpires today have way less notoriety than they did back then? There are a lot more of them, for one thing, and they don't seem to have the same personality. Gregg, Denkinger, McSherry, Runge, Rennert, Wendelstedt...a lot of them didn't make it back from the strike, and the rest just aged out.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
BBCG I'll keep an eye out for the promos !

And SM , the umps def did have more notoriety then. The players salaries increased and they faded into the background and instant replay will make them continue to be more a thing of the past (name recognition wise).

I don't recall 89/90 Bowman Ump cards but could have been. And yeah in 1990 I can see anything getting printed , just was surprised at the pack , box , case form. It's fun to see what was at one point and the 180 it has taken with packs etc.

I've seen some card show ads recently from late 80s etc and the top players were getting $5-$15 for their autos. It's another interesting step we've taken to extreme $.

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
There was no limit to what companies made during that period.

I own a Senior League Baseball set from about that period. Remember that some of those games were televised? Watching some of those on tv, plus I am a collector, plus that set had a few notable athletes in it were all decisions that factored into me buying a set.

As for the umpire, I've liked umpires and felt they were underrepresented in the sport so I likely bought that umpire set mentioned in this thread. If an umpire set came out nowdays, I probably wouldn't buy it as I don't have anywhere near as much respect and awe for today's umpires as I did back in the 1980's/early 1990's.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I own a Senior League Baseball set from about that period. Remember that some of those games were televised? Watching some of those on tv, plus I am a collector, plus that set had a few notable athletes in it were all decisions that factored into me buying a set.

As for the umpire, I've liked umpires and felt they were underrepresented in the sport so I likely bought that umpire set mentioned in this thread. If an umpire set came out nowdays, I probably wouldn't buy it as I don't have anywhere near as much respect and awe for today's umpires as I did back in the 1980's/early 1990's.

And I would agree that a small set or a subset within the subset of "big name" umps wouldn't have been bad. I just saw a full page ad , 70 some umps , and ordering by the. Feel they were a lil off in the production structure. But hey it was early 90s and anything went , and was prob bought in some qty

Ryan

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
There were Ump cards in 1989 or 1990 Bowman, IIRC, in reference to the 1955 Bowman set. I could see that such a set came out back then also, though I agree boxed sets make way more sense than packs.

Is it just me or do umpires today have way less notoriety than they did back then? There are a lot more of them, for one thing, and they don't seem to have the same personality. Gregg, Denkinger, McSherry, Runge, Rennert, Wendelstedt...a lot of them didn't make it back from the strike, and the rest just aged out.

2004 Bowman Heritage maybe?

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I pulled these and kept them beacuse I love ump cards
DARLINGGARY.jpg

SCOTTDALE.jpg

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
My wife's cousins husband was a minor league ump for about 5 or 6 years in the late 90's. He worked his butt off doing it. Lots of time away from home, low pay. The usual minor league route. The Boston Red Sox hired him to sit behind home plate for all home games and audit both teams at bats performances. He had all the team access on and off the field. Imagine being paid to be there. Good stuff.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
2004 Heritage had them but I could've sworn there were umpire cards in a Bowman set around 1989-91. I didn't collect at that point, so I may be wrong, and Google apparently says I am. Maybe it was actually these T&M cards I'm thinking of. Oh well, carry on.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
They just have to insert them with Game Worn Chest Protector pieces and someone will chase them.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'd be interested in some for autograph purposes, if a subset were put out.
How popular were the 1955 Bowman umpires? Not very, as most kids used those in their spokes or threw them away because they weren't players. That's one reason the umpire cards for that set are so pricey.
DANNY

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I never realized the T&M Umpires set was pack-based. I'd always assumed it was just sold as complete sets like their SPBA sets.