Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Amazingly, companies used to brag about over production

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I love reading hobby magazines from the past and often come up with interesting tid bits.

About 15 years ago, companies used to actually "brag" and encourage over production.

Here's a few which I recall:

1. When '89 upper deck was introduced, a company spokesperson made sure the hobby magazines of the time knew they planned on producing a MILLION of every card.

2. In 1988 when score was launched, the company made it clear to the press that they intended to be everywhere topps was.

3. Shortly after fleer football was introduced in '90, the CEO announced that the cards will be produced in the same quantities as all the other companies that year, except for pro set (of course).

And in top of this, no company would ever, ever release production numbers on wax products.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Who wouldn't be excited to sell a million of something instead of a thousand? Before the concepts of inserts, high-end production, autographs, game-used, serial-numbering, and diamond-encrusted cards were introduced, what sold cards? Designs? Checklists? Not even rookies as a core concept really took off until 1992 Bowman. Finally, after the collector base started to crash big time after the strike, they decided that scarcity would be a good thing to drive sales. I remember 1996 Topps was announced as their most limited production since 1965. Although that created confusion because 1965 Topps had several series while 1996 only had two. It was a weird time, but then, when isn't it?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They weren't "bragging about and encouraging overproduction."

Upper Deck was using one million as an example of low production for a major set, compared to the other brands, and how there was an enormous demand for Upper Deck that could not be met.

The Score and Fleer examples were the companies saying that there would be enough of their cards in stores so everyone would have a chance to find them, competing with Topps. They weren't bragging about overproducing them, nor did they think they would end up with case-loads of unsold cards.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
It was definitely more about making sure cards were available, as in Card Sharks, the MLBPA had print run concerns anytime a new company wanted to get a license to produce cards so they had to guarantee certain sales levels. In other words, at that point in time, there was virtually no incentive to produce limited edition sets. Granted, the MLBPA was very strictly looking after their own bottom line and had absolutely no concern about any effects on the hobby. That's why the RC rules they put in place later, along with their licensing restrictions are so bizarre because they are clamping down on their own income, not helping the hobby or collectors.

I never saw Donruss in retail outlets until 1987 or Fleer until 1988. Granted, by 1988 there was no issues finding anything, but even then, certain stores were more likely to carry certain brands.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
A few ads I came across yesterday where Classic is bragging about their production (though they were sold as sets) but it showed their production only being in the 100-200,000 range. And everyone who advertised in 80s / early 90s said every item had great investment potential.

Ryan

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
They weren't "bragging about and encouraging overproduction."

Upper Deck was using one million as an example of low production for a major set, compared to the other brands, and how there was an enormous demand for Upper Deck that could not be met.

The Score and Fleer examples were the companies saying that there would be enough of their cards in stores so everyone would have a chance to find them, competing with Topps. They weren't bragging about overproducing them, nor did they think they would end up with case-loads of unsold cards.

exactly...i didnt see the three bullet points as boasts of over-production....i actually thought the million-per-card number stated by upper deck was their way of saying LIMITED production while the claim made by score merely meant they would be found alongside topps rather than being relegated to obscure locations where nobody could find them....

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Who wouldn't be excited to sell a million of something instead of a thousand? Before the concepts of inserts, high-end production, autographs, game-used, serial-numbering, and diamond-encrusted cards were introduced, what sold cards? Designs? Checklists? Not even rookies as a core concept really took off until 1992 Bowman. Finally, after the collector base started to crash big time after the strike, they decided that scarcity would be a good thing to drive sales. I remember 1996 Topps was announced as their most limited production since 1965. Although that created confusion because 1965 Topps had several series while 1996 only had two. It was a weird time, but then, when isn't it?

i'm almost certian it was 1995 that topps dropped their production numbers to the lowest total since 65....in fact ALL the major companies made similar announcements that year , using the 1994 strike as the reason....the concern was legitimate beause many people swore off baseball (and cards) because of the season without end.....i know at one point i had multiple articles in which the various companies talked about the cutbacks (using percentage reductions and "lowest print run since 19xx" instead of actual stated print runs) ....i'm almost certain at least 2 companies (i'm thinking topps and donruss) noted figures of 50-60% based on the 1994 production (i can't recall if they said they CUT the total by 50-60% or that the total production WAS 50-60% of 1994 - if i can ever find the articles i'll let you know)....i bought as much 1995 baseball as i could find here in my town and i clearly recall storing it away in monster boxes with no intent to get rid of it due to the announced production cuts , figurng that many people didn't know/care and that one day the relatively low totals would be appreciated and lead to increased long term value....

Members online