Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Daniel Norris & his VAN DOWN BY THE....ocean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The beautiful thing about professional baseball players is that no two of them are wired the same way. Though they all obviously share the same goal, which is to reach the major leagues and stay there for as long as possible, each has a distinct personality and a different approach to physically and mentally prepare for baseball's grind.

Often times, those differences are subtle. However, there are a few extreme cases. As we learned on Wednesday, among those on the extreme side is top Toronto Blue Jays prospect Daniel Norris, who's offseason preparation consists of spending several weeks living in a van down by the ocean.

No, this isn't a Saturday Night Live skit coming to life, but that's the first thought that comes to mind. While Norris' 1978 Volkswagen van isn't his permanent residence, for the third straight year it's serving as his transportation to spring training in Dunedin, Florida and his gateway to finding peace of mind before a new season begins.

According to MiLB.com's Josh Jackson,*the 21-year-old left-hander makes the trek from his home in Johnson City, Tennessee, to Dunedin, but goes out of his way to make frequent stops to surf or go on other adventures that appeal to his outdoorsy nature. He's equipped to cook his own meals and make his own morning coffee, so the Blue Jays don't have to worry about frequent trips to nearby fast food restaurants. With that said though, the team is fully aware of his adventures and aren't keen on them. *

"[The Blue Jays] have expressed concern as far as living in the van. For them, it's just, 'Why?' They've kind of said, 'Well, we don't think that's a very good idea.' I said, 'You've got to understand, I've been doing stuff like this my whole life,'" explained Norris.*
"They've kind of said, 'Well, OK, but we don't get it,' and I'm kind of like, 'I don't expect you to get it -- that's OK.'"
The Blue Jays may not understand or like Norris' approach, but it's working for him. He'll enter camp next month as the No. 25 prospect in baseball according to MLB.com, which indicates he has the physical tools to pitch in the big leagues.*For him, though, there's obviously a balance that needs to be achieved to uphold the mental side, and being in the outdoors gives him that balance. *

"Being outdoors and in the outdoor world -- all the activities out there -- the action sports are a workout by themselves," he said. "Obviously, I am getting my [baseball] work in. I am in the gym a lot during the offseason, but I really want to make sure I get out and do something in the mountains or go on a surfing trip as much as I can.
"I went on a number of hikes this year, just because I live in the mountains. I took a couple [shorter] surf trips down in South Carolina. It's important to take a few days and enjoy some peace and quiet. I'm always going on journeys and hoping to find a little adventure. The offseason, I try to be surrounded by journeys, camping out and stuff."

As Norris adds, his teammates generally think he's weird, but the ones he's been able to connect with quickly gain an appreciation for his approach.

And that's part of what's so impressive about Norris. He*obvously has a unique perspective, but he's willing to be unique to continue being himself and do what makes him most comfortable. It's impossible not to respect that, and it's clear that success won't alter his mindset, even as his employers push for change.*

There's a lot more to Norris' story at MiLB.com, including how his approach evolves throughout the season. It's a most fascinating read that's worthy of your time. *

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
It is just a case of. If people don't seem to agree with what your doing, then they tend to think your way of doing things are odd. Just leave the kid alone. Oh and baseball players so of the most superstitious people in sports especially pitchers.
And if this is what they kid does in the off season to be ready for the season, then so be it.

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
Awesome my sister dated daniel and they still keep in touch he is a class act and good guy I wish him the best in 2015!!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
It is just a case of. If people don't seem to agree with what your doing, then they tend to think your way of doing things are odd.

my impression of the blue jays is that they consider it a risk such as being beaten up, shot, stabbed, etc. if there are undesirables that hang out on beaches or that he will get hurt doing his outdoorsy activities and have to miss some or all of the upcoming season.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
my impression of the blue jays is that they consider it a risk such as being beaten up, shot, stabbed, etc. if there are undesirables that hang out on beaches or that he will get hurt doing his outdoorsy activities and have to miss some or all of the upcoming season.

Then put all of them in plastic bubbles and keep them in a room where they can watch them.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Then put all of them in plastic bubbles and keep them in a room where they can watch them.

yeah, we'll add that to their contract! ;)

many prohibitions are already in player contracts. With all the contractual money on the line and previously spent to get the players where they are, you should think players will respect that the team is concerned about safety and not have those players hang around in troublespots.

Probably the best thing to do is remove contract prohibitions, removed guaranteed salary clauses, and if a player gets assulted or shot or stabbed or killed and misses a season or the rest of their career, the team is off the hook for the appropriate millions that the player misses for not being on the field.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The Toronto Star ran a lengthy interview with Norris in today's sports section. I haven't seen coverage like this since they traded for R.A. Dickey a couple of years ago. We had to endure all those "Most interesting man in baseball" articles about his past, his book, and how he climbed a mountain. It's nice to know a bit about a player's background but don't beat us over the head with it. :rolleyes:

1422108131080.jpg
1422108174866.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts