Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Major collection milestone reached: vintage Dodgers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I got back into collecting in 1992 or so. Tonight I reached a milestone that back then I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd reach.

My goal in those early years was to pick up some Dodgers team sets from the 80s (easily done) and work a little on some 1970s sets. I remember WAY overspending for a Cey/Schmidt RC from an ad in SCD, I think from Kit Young.

Then in late 1996 I joined an online trading group called OBC (Old Baseball Cards - oldbaseball.com). I figured I'd be able to put more of a dent in the 1970s sets. It wasn't long after joining that I figured I'd reach back a little further and go from 1966 (birth year) on up. That seemed safe. I already had the Koufax from '66 (kept that from my collecting days in high school), so no major cards needed. Going back further into the '60s meant more Koufaxes, Sniders, the McMullen RC. No way I'm ever going to have cards like that, so why even think about it. It didn't take to long for cards from the early 60s to start showing up in my mailbox, and even a few stragglers from the '50s. The 50s? Yeah, right. That's NEVER going to happen. I mean, we're talking Campy. Jackie. Pee Wee. Snider. The Koufax RC. You know, the Dodgers legends. Once again I underestimated the generosity of the guys in OBC. The Koufax showed up as an amazing RAOK (random act of kindness) from an old friend. Other key cards showed up from time to time, and along with some timely eBay purchases (I remember when I picked up my 1955 Topps Jackie and Snider for just over $20 for both) I gave serious thought to adding early Bowman and Topps sets. And gradually, one by one, those sets all fell. Except one.

1952 Topps. 33 cards in the set, 16 of them high numbers. Jackie. Pee Wee. Campy. Pafko, card #1.

Not.Going.To.Happen.

So I held out. I put T205 and T206 Brooklyn Superbas on my wantlist. Finished those. 1933 Goudey? Done.

Finally I put up the '52. Never expected to make much progress. But sure enough I did. Little by little I chipped away, making purchases at the occasional S.F. Tri-Star show, an eBay purchase here and there. Got myself down to Jackie and five others. Last summer a great Jackie came available. I knew the finish line was now in sight.

And tonight I broke the tape. #396, Dick Williams, has been scanned and is in my Dodgers binder.

Wow. :)

If you guys want to take a look, here are some links to scans of my vintage Dodgers.

Geordie

http://home.comcast.net/~dodgergeo/dodgercollection/prewar.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~dodgergeo/dodgercollection/bowman.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~dodgergeo/dodgercollection/topps50s.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~dodgergeo/dodgercollection/topps60s.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~dodgergeo/dodgercollection/topps70s.htm

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
A tremendous accomplishment! As a fellow lifelong Dodgers fan, I especially enjoyed looking through your collection.

Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Have you considered adding the 1933 Goudey Dazzy Vance? He was traded to the Cards that year, but he is wearing a Brooklyn uniform. There's also a 1935 Goudey 4 in 1 featuring Vance, but he's the only Dodger pictured.

What an amazing collection!

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Congrats. i envy your completion, and some of the toughies don't look half bad in the condition you have, but I generally need VG/EX or better. Since my budget doesn't allow that for the big ones, I will probably always have glaring holes in some of my Dodger team sets (namely 52 Topps).

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
E, I'm working on Diamond Stars, Red Man, Bell Brands and Post Dodgers next. I really like the Red Mans. Looking forward to adding a few more of those in the near future.
Ah! Incredible collection! If I had known months ago I would have sold you my 53 Red Man of Campy. Was a sick card. My brother has a 53 Reese in his collection, if you're interested I can ask him if he'd sell it.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Despite us being bitter enemies, congrats on the accomplishment!

That's probably the one crappy thing about collecting AZ, I'll never be able to delve into the vintage arena when it comes to AZ.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Congratulations on the completion! No small feat, for sure. Could have saved yourself thousands by being a Brewers fan :)

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Congrats! I really enjoyed looking through your site at your collection.

So now that you're done, what's next? :)

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
BTW, all of your choices of what to work on next are excellent. I think the Diamond Stars was one of my favorites to do for the Yankees.
DANNY

Members online

No members online now.