Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2004 Greats of the Game Autograph Error?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I purchased this card in 2004 from an eBay seller who had a sold off box break soon after the set was released. I had a near set, inserts, and this autograph in the lot.

I never noticed the back until recently, it wasn't the certified auto back with the authenticity certificate but it had a regular back with stats. Has anyone come across these with their player? My suspicion is that they stuck the sticker on the wrong card, it is highly unlikely that this was signed in person or TTM that quickly.

Unfortunately, I can't pass it off as pack pulled autograph but the autograph is 100% genuine and the sticker matches the Fleer stickers from the set from what I can tell.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    408.8 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    431.7 KB · Views: 46

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Stickers were used in 2004? Man did I miss that. That card all around looks fishy IMHO. Even the sticker looks too big and with the back the way it is, just odd to me but I haven't done any research to see what others cards from the set look like, so I'm probably just making no sense.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Very intersting.
I lave a Luis Tiant, Johnny Pesky, Bernie Carbo, Jimmy Piersall, and Dwight Evans from that set and they all have the certified auto verbiage on the back.
There's another O'Neill on COMC that's got the proper back on it so maybe you've got something a little different there.....

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
There a few in that set that have both backs but I unfortunately don't have the list. I have seen a couple with both, I know Frank Tanana is one.

The ones that I have seen I have seen multiple copies of the error and correct version.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Stickers were used in 2004? Man did I miss that. That card all around looks fishy IMHO. Even the sticker looks too big and with the back the way it is, just odd to me but I haven't done any research to see what others cards from the set look like, so I'm probably just making no sense.

(You aren't making any sense, all the stickers in that set are gigantic) :D

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
That's a cool error. I have a scan of a oneill from that set but not the back.

aaaaaaon_zps98ec5d42.jpg

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Thanks for the input guys. Gonna keep this one for my 1998 Yankees TTM collection, since it is not technically certified and perhaps an error card.

oiccup41 - That's very helpful to know, I figured there were some mistakes in set like this.

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I might be stating the obvious, but I'll just say it incase you've missed it. The 'error' card includes his name under the autograph whereas the other one does not.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ravi, I checked mine. All regular certified backs:
image-161.jpg

On a different note , look at all the different looks to his auto in jut these 3 cards. From spaced out letters , the connection of letters in some n not others , the P looking closer to an F in one etc etc. From a quick look they all look the same , but can't imagine how hard for an examiner it must be who actually certified autos (not cert from pack style) to be right a good % of the time.

I'm not talking blaring differences that don't make sense , but small things that who knows if the player / person just signed it a lil' differently at that moment.

Anyway, my 2 (maybe 1) cent to the convo

Ryan

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
On a different note , look at all the different looks to his auto in jut these 3 cards. From spaced out letters , the connection of letters in some n not others , the P looking closer to an F in one etc etc. From a quick look they all look the same , but can't imagine how hard for an examiner it must be who actually certified autos (not cert from pack style) to be right a good % of the time.

I'm not talking blaring differences that don't make sense , but small things that who knows if the player / person just signed it a lil' differently at that moment.

Anyway, my 2 (maybe 1) cent to the convo

Ryan
Take a look how O'neill signed in his early years with Reds. Talk about different looks!! I know we are off subject but the OP and I had many talks about this topic as well. We also have done many trades that brought each other some of these autos that we speak of.
image-163.jpg

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
A_Pharis - I thought the same too, the "error" was that sticker was placed on the wrong card.

Kevin - Should have known you had three! His older autos are much loopier, I don't have any copies, they were before the certified era. Yeah, I've lost count of how many trades, but it's been a lot!

selah150pslm - Yeah, I didn't notice that difference initially either.

RStadlerASU22 - I can usually tell at a glance which ones are genuine despite the subtle differences, but I've probably seen more copies that most people. Over the past 10 years of collecting him, I haven't seen too many fake ones since there isn't much money to be made. BTW, I picked up a 1997(?) Score Registered Gold Will Clark the other day, not sure if it is rare or if you were interested.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
A_Pharis - I thought the same too, the "error" was that sticker was placed on the wrong card.

Kevin - Should have known you had three! His older autos are much loopier, I don't have any copies, they were before the certified era. Yeah, I've lost count of how many trades, but it's been a lot!

selah150pslm - Yeah, I didn't notice that difference initially either.

RStadlerASU22 - I can usually tell at a glance which ones are genuine despite the subtle differences, but I've probably seen more copies that most people. Over the past 10 years of collecting him, I haven't seen too many fake ones since there isn't much money to be made. BTW, I picked up a 1997(?) Score Registered Gold Will Clark the other day, not sure if it is rare or if you were interested.

Hey , thanks for lookin out , but I've got the RG. And ya, I wasn't really just speaking of Paul's' auto , just autos in general about how many changes can happen between sigs.
Thanks again ,

Ryan

Members online