Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Bowman Draft Mike Trout Superfractor Auto??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Guy over on net54 (could be member here too??) has this in a thread and said it is a true Bowman card. To me it looks like a custom by one of two guys over on BO. Something just looks off to me. Sig looks good, but too thin for a Bowman sig.

Anyone have any knowledge of the card??

attachment.php

*Should mention he's not selling, just using the auto as an exemplar to show another IP is authentic*

Last edited:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Link doesn't work, but I assume it's the one picturing him swinging in a red ST uni? if so, it was an unreleased card cut from a sheet and signed IP last season.

I tried to buy it last summer, but the seller said it was hand cut. If it was laser cut it'd probably be sitting on my desk right now

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
If that guy thinks it's a pack issued card, he needs to ask himself why it's in a blue flip that says "trading card."

There is a reason why I come here and not there to discuss modern cards yo.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
.........has this in a thread and said it is a true Bowman card. To me it looks like a custom by one of two guys over on BO. Something just looks off to me.

If you have to qualify it as a true Bowman card, it is not a true Bowman card. It is press waste and not even the superfractor stock. So yes, if it looks off to you there is a reason it does. Has this card changed hands a few times now? How has it been listed in the past? It says Topps certified auto on the card, but it is an IP auto. It certainly is not pack pulled and I would have my doubts that it was even distributed by Topps. I would not value it any differently than any other Trout IP auto.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
If you have to qualify it as a true Bowman card, it is not a true Bowman card. It is press waste and not even the superfractor stock. So yes, if it looks off to you there is a reason it does. Has this card changed hands a few times now? How has it been listed in the past? It says Topps certified auto on the card, but it is an IP auto. It certainly is not pack pulled and I would have my doubts that it was even distributed by Topps. I would not value it any differently than any other Trout IP auto.

He said the original was in a sheet form and was produced for release but never was. These sheets were sent to auction houses like http://apr13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=55345

I asked if he was the one that "cut" it.

Asked if he has pictures of the card before it was "cut" from the sheet.

Haven't heard back yet though.

Either it's a bad scan or this is a custom job. The "engine turn" looks slightly off and like its too dull.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
He said the original was in a sheet form and was produced for release but never was. These sheets were sent to auction houses like http://apr13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=55345

I asked if he was the one that "cut" it.

Asked if he has pictures of the card before it was "cut" from the sheet.

Haven't heard back yet though.

Either it's a bad scan or this is a custom job. The "engine turn" looks slightly off and like its too dull.

$_57.JPG

See, that is what bothers me about these even being in the market place. I worked in the printing business for over two decades and I assure you this is not even the superfractor stock used for distribution. Let's say you have a print run of 2,000 sheets on a certain stock. When the stock is purchased, it usually is done so with a low percentage added to the needed amount to accommodate for the entire print run and overages for quality control. When a pressman and crew make ready a print job, they can not use the ordered stock to balance color and establish registration. That is usually done with a similar stock before running clean sheets through the press for the customer to sign off on the desired quality. I have zero doubt that these were full sheets and I have zero doubt they were waste sheets, never intended to be distributed and are not on the correct stock. Pictured above is a real superfractor from the same set.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
View attachment 45642

See, that is what bothers me about these even being in the market place. I worked in the printing business for over two decades and I assure you this is not even the superfractor stock used for distribution. Let's say you have a print run of 2,000 sheets on a certain stock. When the stock is purchased, it usually is done so with a low percentage added to the needed amount to accommodate for the entire print run and overages for quality control. When a pressman and crew make ready a print job, they can not use the ordered stock to balance color and establish registration. That is usually done with a similar stock before running clean sheets through the press for the customer to sign off on the desired quality. I have zero doubt that these were full sheets and I have zero doubt they were waste sheets, never intended to be distributed and are not on the correct stock. Pictured above is a real superfractor from the same set.

Thanks for for the insight.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Thanks for for the insight.

You're welcome. The Trout reminds me of this card:

$_57.JPG

Originally, the seller of this card did not even bother to list it as an IP auto. I would not even say these are test proofs, as these are not sent to customers to sign off on. They are just cut from waste sheets, that were to be disposed of.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
View attachment 45642

Sorry, but that Freeman is not from the same set.

Members online