Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
This is all hypothetical, and (well, I can't speak for other people) but I won't judge your answer.
Say you break a high end product, and pull a very high end card of a well known player, of whom someone on these boards collects. If you put the card on eBay, you could make hundreds if not thousands of dollars on it. But our player collector really wants it, but can only double your money from the break, if that.

And please be honest
What do you do? Sell it to the player collector here and find the card a great home? Or put it on eBay and follow the money? Or is there something else you would do with it? (Assuming you aren't keeping it)

Again, just a hypothetical to see how the answers range

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I would try to make a deal on the board. This board has been very generous with time, knowledge, and cards.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Honesty it depends. If we're talking about leaving $100 on the table I'll work a deal with the member absolutely. But "if not thousands"? My discretionary income can't afford to miss out on that much unfortunately lol

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Agree with Brewer Andy.. If your gonna leave hundreds to thousands of dollars on the table then list it on Ebay. Just because your a player collector or super collector doesn't mean your entitled to everything at a discount.

lonesomeagle1

Aug 7, 2008
Northwest NJ
Thousands is a lot

I would get a realistic eBay #, cut it by what % you think is reasonable and offer it to him (maybe a repayment schedule). If a deal can't be reached... eBay it away.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Throwing some random numbers out.

Break cost me $50
Got a card which generally sells for $500
Would take about $400 from player collector

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

robertwolf1

Aug 8, 2008
I would give a discount but not so that I am leaving a lot on the table. Definitely a discount though as I would want a player collector to have it. If it wasn't a player collector then just a bit of a discount to avoid ebay fees.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I don't like selling on eBay, so I'd prefer to deal with someone on here that I know. Considering a majority of my PC items have come from members on here, I would probably do about 25% less than it would go on eBay just because I save on fees, plus a little discount for a fellow FCBer. If it's a thousand/multi-thousand dollar card, I wouldn't really want to do like 50% of the sale price but I would definitely prefer to give an FCBer a discount.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
honestly i would rather keep the card for my own collection (i'm an admitted level 4 hoarder and my collection philosophy that began when i was given my first cards 40 years ago was simple - i want AT LEAST one of everything : one for set building , if it features a player i like then one for the player collection , a few more if i decided to build more sets , and my final two catchalls : stash or investmet/resale items)....

unless a card is damaged , i really hate to get rid of it unless i have duplicates...that said , i do realize i can't afford everything and can't KEEP everything.....i usually only sell or trade off extras or items that don't meet my ultra picky condition standards (with flaws known up front - not scamming people by trying to pass off damaged items as mint)....however , my recent major health and financial issues have forced a change ....as a 46-year-old with no kids or any other potential people to pass my collection to when i leave this world AND faced with losing my home of 17 years due to the death of a landlord i've been slowly selling off a few more bigger items and instead of buying a lot of stuff for my collection , i've shifted to buying lots with the specific intent of breaking them up for resale to help pay bills....it's working - slowly , but every purchase i make that is for resale is excruciating , knowing how much i'd love to be able to keep everything....

with all that in mind , if i hit a truly big-ticket item , i would likely go the ebay route because frankly at this point in my life , at least until i get past the housing and health issues , it is about maximizing returns....adding to that , MOST of what i sell is in the $1-10 range....for most of the better items i've been selling lately (items with sale values anywhere from 25-300) , i've listed them on ebay but also posted them in threads on various trading sites at prices below what i've listed them for on ebay...several sold on the trading sites before they went to auction while the others went on to ebay.....i also do usually offer some kind of discounts (either on BIN's or shipping) to members of the trading sites i frequent - just not sure how much of a "supercollector discount" i could afford to offer in this hypothetical situation....

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
As some people have stated a fair deal but no major cost break. 15-25% off what you feel it would bring on eBay type deal. Depending if its "hot" or can be found rather easily again

Ryan

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Thousands is a lot

I would get a realistic eBay #, cut it by what % you think is reasonable and offer it to him (maybe a repayment schedule). If a deal can't be reached... eBay it away.

Agree with this. Tell the board member you are going to list it on Ebay, list it as a BO and see what the market is on it. Offer a break from that price to the potential buyer here, on a payment plan if needed. That provides a fair opportunity for the seller and buyer. If the member can not agree to terms, then proceed with the Ebay sell. Good luck OP.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Agree with this. Tell the board member you are going to list it on Ebay, list it as a BO and see what the market is on it. Offer a break from that price to the potential buyer here, on a payment plan if needed. That provides a fair opportunity for the seller and buyer. If the member can not agree to terms, then proceed with the Ebay sell. Good luck OP.

No good luck needed, it purely was just a hypothetical question. And I guess my verbiage was a little off, "thousands" might have been a little excessive. But I do like the model BBC presented. Example, you break the box for say...$200, killer card pops that a player collector here would love, said person offers you say, $400, but you know if you post it in eBay you could get $600 to $700....in my opinion, the PCer here gets it everytime, like the first few posters said, but seems like a bunch of guys here would go the eBay way, which is interesting to me. Is it hobby vs business? Or something else? Or was it just skewed because I said a potential difference of thousands?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
No good luck needed, it purely was just a hypothetical question. And I guess my verbiage was a little off, "thousands" might have been a little excessive. But I do like the model BBC presented. Example, you break the box for say...$200, killer card pops that a player collector here would love, said person offers you say, $400, but you know if you post it in eBay you could get $600 to $700....in my opinion, the PCer here gets it everytime, like the first few posters said, but seems like a bunch of guys here would go the eBay way, which is interesting to me. Is it hobby vs business? Or something else? Or was it just skewed because I said a potential difference of thousands?

It is a hobby to me, but the only way I can be in the hobby is by selling what I do not collect. What I do collect, I expect to pay around market for.

BoyWonder089

Jul 14, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I would have to agree that I would make a deal with a board member. However on the other hand, just because something gets sold on eBay doesn't mean that it wouldn't still go to a great collector and somebody who would really enjoy the card correct?

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Only for FCB members. If I knew it was a deep PC item, I'd hold it and let them make payments up to an amount then ebay selling average. there's a buyer for everything on here from parallels to ridiculous cuts and knobs/barrels. It wouldn't be hard to find somebody.

Members online