Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cuban 5-Tooler Yoan Moncada Cleared to Sign With a Team

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
[MENTION=11929]jesse[/MENTION]SanchezMLB: Sources: Moncada, 19, has worked out privately for the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rangers, Rays Tigers, and Brewers.

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Get ready for some big numbers on this one...

Not unless someone figures out how to structure a deal to get around the 100% tax, should still be large though.
[MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION] Who you got?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Not unless someone figures out how to structure a deal to get around the 100% tax, should still be large though.
[MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION] Who you got?

I'll go with the Yanks. In which case, his autos will be through the roof.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
@Jaypers Who you got?
Most big teams aren't giving a damn about the tax if they've already surpassed the barrier.

I agree. I think they realize that they need to start signing younger guys. Tanaka, Moncada, Judge, Betances could create a pretty damn good core

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

Most big teams aren't giving a damn about the tax if they've already surpassed the barrier.

Agreed as well, likely the Yankees.

Unlike the 31-year-old Olivera, Moncada and Ibanez do not qualify for exemption from MLB’s international bonus pool system. Accordingly, the winning team will be forced to pay a 100% penalty tax on the amount by which it exceeds its pool allotment — which, if expectations prove correct, could be quite a substantial sum.

From what I read, this also has to be paid within 30 days. So no, I would not say most big teams would be willing to do that but all it takes is just one.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
@Jaypers Who you got?

I know about the tax. Given the likely teams involved and the hype around this kid I still think we will see a big number. (However, as my wife will gladly point out, I have been wrong before.)

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Agreed as well, likely the Yankees.

Unlike the 31-year-old Olivera, Moncada and Ibanez do not qualify for exemption from MLB’s international bonus pool system. Accordingly, the winning team will be forced to pay a 100% penalty tax on the amount by which it exceeds its pool allotment — which, if expectations prove correct, could be quite a substantial sum.

From what I read, this also has to be paid within 30 days. So no, I would not say most big teams would be willing to do that but all it takes is just one.

Most of the teams and speculation has said he will likely cost around a 50 million investment or more.

Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers are all said to be in. I think total investment ends around 60 million.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Baseball America, unlike the other experts' lists, consider anyone with fewer than 130 ABs/50 IP eligible for their Top 100 prospects list, no matter where they come from.

It'll be interesting to see if he signs with a team before their list comes out, which is expected to be in a couple weeks' time, and where he'll rank.

(He'd be in the teens for me.)

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Most of the teams and speculation has said he will likely cost around a 50 million investment or more.

Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers are all said to be in. I think total investment ends around 60 million.

Based on that and need as well, I think it is only down to two. Those being the Yankees and the Angels.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Based on that and need as well, I think it is only down to two. Those being the Yankees and the Angels.

Don't count out the Dodgers. They scouted him extensively, and are said to be extremely interested.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012

Don't count out the Dodgers. They scouted him extensively, and are said to be extremely interested.

As have teh Sox and Cubs. All of those teams can afford it and everyone has need for a young STUD. Its not "down to two" or any number. Its realistically a 5 team race IMO with a few sleeper teams (Giants come to mind)

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA

I agree. I think they realize that they need to start signing younger guys. Tanaka, Moncada, Judge, Betances could create a pretty damn good core

Omg that is music to my ears!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The Cubs and Rangers can't sign Moncada unless he agrees to wait until July 2 to do so, which I doubt will happen.

Members online

Latest posts