Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Major eBay auction seller selling a fake patch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Topps-Sterling-Jumbo-Bernie-Williams-YANKEES-PATCH-1-1-PSA-7-NRMT-PWCC-/141564995950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f5ee696e

I get that it's graded, but these are notoriously easy to fake given how thick they are. It's also a poor grade, so my vote is strongly for fake. Looks way too good to be true, seen it floating around for awhile but guess someone decided to get it graded.

Not sure what PSA does but does not BGS only grade the card and not authenticate the relic?

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Not sure what PSA does but does not BGS only grade the card and not authenticate the relic?

I thought they mark it as altered or not slab it if it was tampered with. I think most collectors who aren't true experts would assume something slabbed by PSA is automatically legit.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
That's the problem with these jumbo topps sterling from that year. Various cards throughout the set has nice jumbo patches like that one. I did not follow any Bernie stuff because he's not a hofer I cant difintively tell you if its been altered. What do the other bernies look like from the set? With that said yes I would stay away for the simple fact that I just don't know and my gut leans towards altered.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Card back says it's from a pair of pants. I don't really recall the Yankees ever having big-ass logos on their pants.

I thought they mark it as altered or not slab it if it was tampered with. I think most collectors who aren't true experts would assume something slabbed by PSA is automatically legit.

I guess it is the same with PSA then, unless it is specifically noted on the slab as authentic then it is just a grade on the card.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Great catch on the card back. This really bothers me that snakes out there mess with these cards. Really ruins it for the legitimate products out there. I have a half a dozen of these but they are either solid color or two tone from the waistline of the pants. I did see one offered with writing on the waistband sell for decent money. It was out of my price range. It's too bad people do this to the hobby.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Screw messaging the seller, enough people report the item to eBay for being a fake, it "should be" taken down, if eBay takes their buyers seriously.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
That's the problem with these jumbo topps sterling from that year. Various cards throughout the set has nice jumbo patches like that one. I did not follow any Bernie stuff because he's not a hofer I cant difintively tell you if its been altered. What do the other bernies look like from the set? With that said yes I would stay away for the simple fact that I just don't know and my gut leans towards altered.

I would bet it was a plain pants swatch with nothing fancy at all and it was transformed into this. Great catch with the pants part 100% fake. This was originally sold with someone who had MANY topps sterling logos. Schmidt, Reggie Jackson - they were all direct logo patches like this one.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Topps-...950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f5ee696e

I get that it's graded, but these are notoriously easy to fake given how thick they are. It's also a poor grade, so my vote is strongly for fake. Looks way too good to be true, seen it floating around for awhile but guess someone decided to get it graded.

fake, the 2008 were just a jumbo jersey or pants with pinstripe.

at least any other Bernie I have seen from that set, that year.

Last edited:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I sent him a message and reported the auction, I mean this card has been listed on eBay a bunch of times I have no doubt this guy is just the cosigner. He should take down the listing, send the card back to the owner and move on - hopefully he does that.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Card back says it's from a pair of pants. I don't really recall the Yankees ever having big-ass logos on their pants.

Is it possible the Yankees used a logo on the inner waist-band part of their pants? I would think that's the only explanation-- if this patch is real. Problem could be with Topps, however. I've had numerous jersey relics of different colors from anything the player wore in that game stated (Future's game, for example).

I suppose one could always write to Topps and ask for clarification?

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I can't believe how horribly fake this is. The stars are the easiest place to see the difference

Where they got the patch http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.j...pla&kpid=5637633&pla=pla_5637633&KPID=5637633
pMLB2-5637633dt.jpg

What a game used one looks like

43112_01_lg.jpg

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I have a scan saved of that card before it was graded. It was sold with that patch on March 10, 2011 by got1morethanshaq. No doubt in my mind that it's fake.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Hello,

We have to agree with PSA as they have authenticated the card. Please bid cautiously if you doubt the card. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Edit to add: that's the response I got from the seller

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts