Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone know what card this is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Going through my fathers collection and I have no clue on this card so I am asking for help. The back is blank

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 58

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
[MENTION=4035]DaClyde[/MENTION] may know. He has spent quite a bit of time searching Japanese issues I believe. I would agree that based on what we see, it is some sort of Japnese issue.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Looks like a hologram not a plate. Looks like a nameless version of this, which I found by googling "japanese hologram baseball". There are more for other teams. I guess something similar to the team logo holograms UD stuck in packs in 1991 or 1992.
m8q2KFcF1Bm1luULYGmMleQ.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Yep, one of the 12 team holograms inserted into packs of 1993 BBM. They were inserted at a rate of probably less than one per box, not like the one per pack Upper Deck did. Here's a rundown of the 1993 BBM set if anyone is interested:

http://japanesebaseballcards.blogspot.com/2011/12/1993-bbm-set.html

There are several listed on Yahoo! Auctions Japan for around $5. Not sure what they actually sell for. Not too much demand on this side of the ocean because Beckett couldn't be bothered to catalog them when Japanese players were all the rage in MLB.

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yep, one of the 12 team holograms inserted into packs of 1993 BBM. They were inserted at a rate of probably less than one per box, not like the one per pack Upper Deck did. Here's a rundown of the 1993 BBM set if anyone is interested:

http://japanesebaseballcards.blogspot.com/2011/12/1993-bbm-set.html

There are several listed on Yahoo! Auctions Japan for around $5. Not sure what they actually sell for. Not too much demand on this side of the ocean because Beckett couldn't be bothered to catalog them when Japanese players were all the rage in MLB.
That's what I thought too, but the hologram pictured in the original post is slightly different.
Is it a variation or prototype? It has no English team name on it, there is a baseball in the top right corner and faint Japanese writing at the bottom.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I want to tell you mine said 1991 not 1993 and thanks for the info I will research it some more

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Seem s the more I look these were pretty rare 7500 boxes were made but the holograms were not included. There were 12 variations of 240 and I see every card in the set but the holograms listed in one spot or another there is also a guy who is looking for these cards and asked me how much I wanted for it but I can't give a price with no information of how rare this card is. I will have to contact a subject matter expert I know and see what he can tell me about this card.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Ah, sorry, I was thinking the second scan was just a better copy of the first. You are correct, that would be the somewhat more rare 1991 hologram.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts