Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Looking to shrink the strike zone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
If they want to speed up the game, enforcing the rulebook strikezone will do that. Making it smaller will just mean a lot more pitches, more walks and longer games. The league officials are hugely short on common sense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
If they want to speed up the game, enforcing the rulebook strikezone will do that. Making it smaller will just mean a lot more pitches, more walks and longer games. The league officials are hugely short on common sense.

I agree with this, but then again all this is is a report. I don't think they will do this it's a bad idea plain and simple.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia

As was said above, this is just a report, not yet a real thing. But unlike other initiatives that are going on, this one is not about game duration. It is about a steady decline in offense. [Insert comment about offensive decline and PED enforcement policies here.]

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Even so, it's like they are spending a lot of time and money to find ways NOT to just follow the rules they already have.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Even so, it's like they are spending a lot of time and money to find ways NOT to just follow the rules they already have.

Rob Manfred just feels like he has to wreck the game in one month rather than the responsible method of trying things slowly or over several seasons. 2015 should be the year of emphasis on enforcing the rulebook about batters staying in the box and pitchers pitching promptly using umpire discretion (i.e. no pitch clock in MLB). Tweak the pace of game in spring training 2016 as a test if needed but never go to a pitch clock.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Exactly. It is the umpire's choice to grant the batter time, not his obligation. He can simply refuse and let the pitcher throw the ball. I love the rare occasions when that actually happens and the batter takes a strike flatfooted.

Members online