Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Hit & Run Mayhem Challenge: Official Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Another great season of baseball is almost upon us.

My latest contest provides an entirely new way for the board to participate.

This game is unique in that:

1. No signup is required. Everyone is automatically entered, if they choose to participate.

2. There are no deadlines to meet. None!

3. There is no scouring of boxscores or doing any convoluted calculations. A quick glance at the daily league scoreboard and basic arithmetic skills are all you need.

4. There is no catching up to do if you are away from the board or do not feel like playing on a regular basis. Play daily, weekly, monthly, or just once the entire season. It’s entirely up to you. Of course, the more you play, the greater your chance to win!

OVERVIEW

This is a daily game that runs from the first game of spring training through the end of the regular season.

I have created two calendars from March 1 - Oct 4th, each capturing all spring training and regular season games.

Everyone will work off these two calendars.

Each calendar features a single target stat (hits or runs) for each day, plus 3 random categories to help you achieve that target.

The categories include:

-MLB team(s) used to achieve the target stat
-a rainout feature (must eliminate one team shown that day)
-a doubleheader feature (must count one team twice shown on that day)
-an adjustment to the target stat (provides a broader range for the target or a lower/higher single target).

OBJECT/RULES

The object of the game is to claim as many dates where a target is met exactly.

NOTE: It’s important to realize that not all dates will be winners. In fact, winning dates will be the exception. This adds not only a layer of unpredictability, but also a layer of excitement as every contestant who realizes that a date is a winner must race against one another to be the first to claim it.

1. A player claims a winning date by simply being the first to post that they are claiming that date.

2. You do not have to use every team shown to reach your target, but you must invoke the rainout, doubleheader, and/or target adjustments whenever they are shown.

3. A contestant may not edit their posts claiming a date for any reason.

4. A contestant may not "reserve" a future date by claiming it before games on that date have been played.

5. A contestant cannot claim a non-winning date in an attempt to just be the first. Non-winning dates refer to those where the target was not met exactly, or the contestant did not factor any/all rainouts, doubleheaders, or target adjustments.

6. A contestant may not claim more than one target per date (hits or runs, not both). This rule is in place to promote friendly competition and to prevent one contestant from "double dipping" on a single date.

However, nothing prevents them from deciding which target they can claim, if both are met on the same date. They would naturally claim the higher valued target of the two. See the Scoring section below.

If a contestant takes any of the actions outlined above (items 2-6), they are ineligible to claim any target for that entire week (Sunday-Saturday):

SCORING

Each date includes a base point value and multiplier. The base point value is simply the date of the month in question. The multiplier can range from 1x to 5x, and is found in the lower right hand corner.

The first player to correctly claim a winning date will earn the points awarded for that date.

PRIZES

At the end of each month, 2 prizes will be awarded:

1. The contestant who claimed the single highest valued date
2. The contestant who collects the highest total number of points for that month.

A grand prize will be awarded at the end of the regular season to the contestant who has collected the highest total number of points from Mar 1 - Oct 4.

Earlier, I solicited the board for 8 members who would be willing to donate a modestly priced card as part of the monthly single highest score prize ($20 value max). I already have one extremely generous volunteer who has already committed, but hope to get at least 7 more. There’s no need to commit until at least late-April since March is already lined up.

SAMPLE MONTH WITH SCORING EXAMPLES

The full calendar will be released before March 1st.

To better acquaint yourself with the game, here is a sample month along with a few scoring examples.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

samplemonth.jpg

March 1st

Target: 22 Runs
Value: 1 point (1st of the month with a 1x multiplier)
Doubleheader Adjustment (you must count any one of the following teams twice)

Miami, Texas, and/or Houston must have exactly 22 runs to earn the 1 point for this date..

March 6th

Target: 4 Hits
Value: 12 points (6th of the month = 6 points with a 2x multiplier)
Target Adjustment: +1 (this increases the target to 5 hits)

Baltimore and/or any NL Central team must have exactly 5 hits to earn 12 points for this date.

March 9th

Target: 12 Runs
Value: 27 points (9th of the month = 9 points with a 3x multiplier)
Rainout Adjustment (you may only use one team to reach the target for this date)

Either Milwaukee or Cleveland must have exactly 12 hits to earn the 27 points for this date. You cannot use both teams to combine for 12 hits on this date, due to the rainout limitation.

March 20th

Target: 7 Runs
Value: 40 points (20th of the month = 20 points with a 2x multiplier)
Target Adjustment of -6 (-2 plus -4). This reduces the target to 1 hit

The Dodgers must have exactly 1 hit to earn the 40 points for this date.

March 27th

Target: 19 Runs
Value: 27 points (27th of the month = 27 points with a 1x multiplier)
Target Adjustment of +/- 3. This broadens the target to 16 to 22 runs (3 less than 19 to 3 more than 19).

Arizona and/or any A.L. Central team must have between 16-22 runs on this date to earn the 27 points.

OTHER SCENARIOS

1. Any date that does not have at least one team shown cannot be scored.

2. Any date having both a rainout and a doubleheader cancel each other out, so if the 3rd category is a team, you must meet the target using that team only once.

3. Doubleheaders are maxed out at two. So, any date having two doubleheaders and one team category means that your must count that team twice when trying to meet the target, not four times.

4. When there is more than one target adjustment, and neither are "+\-", simply add them together to get your new target for that date.

If you have two "+\-" adustments, you still add them together. For example, if you have +\-3 and +\-2, your base target expands to +\-5.

However, if you have one regular target adustment (plus or minus, not both), and one "+\-" adjustment, you must start with the regular adjustment first, and then add the "+\-" adjustment to your new base target.

Example:

Base Target: 11 runs

Miami
+3
+/- 1

Here, you would first add 3 to the base target, giving you a new base target of 14 runs
Then, you would expand the new base target by +/- 1

For this sample date to be a winner, Miami must score between 13-15 runs.

5. Any date showing the same team two or more times is to be scored the same as if all teams were unique. In other words, it is up to the contestant if they want to count that team's runs or hits more than once in an attempt to meet the target.

That should cover almost every scenario.

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Quick question: when we score non-home games among active league leaders, do we use the +/-1 run differential along with total bases for pinch hitters in both games of double headers, or do we skip categories and use HOF stats (pre-1915) along with single category league leaders of night games and add or subtract WAR if it ties other category leaders with higher additional distributions of non-negative stat categories?

Otherwise, it sounds fun!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Quick question: when we score non-home games among active league leaders, do we use the +/-1 run differential along with total bases for pinch hitters in both games of double headers, or do we skip categories and use HOF stats (pre-1915) along with single category league leaders of night games and add or subtract WAR if it ties other category leaders with higher additional distributions of non-negative stat categories?

Otherwise, it sounds fun!

Yes, but don't forget to take the nth derivative of the square root of that team's median isolated power index as well...but only on Monday away games north of the 41st parallel.

Otherwise, add 2.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Yes, but don't forget to take the nth derivative of the square root of that team's median isolated power index as well...but only on Monday away games north of the 41st parallel.

Otherwise, add 2.

Ha! I got to say, all kidding aside, I love your contests. I still have a couple of Bingo boards, and that Wood Chopper one hanging in my office just waiting for me to cross off a few more squares (so close!). I know they're over, but I can't bring myself to toss them! They've been so fun! I'll definitely add this new one to the mix!

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Ha! I got to say, all kidding aside, I love your contests. I still have a couple of Bingo boards, and that Wood Chopper one hanging in my office just waiting for me to cross off a few more squares (so close!). I know they're over, but I can't bring myself to toss them! They've been so fun! I'll definitely add this new one to the mix!

That is awesome! I have done the same with the Tree one from last year too :)

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
So in a doubleheader scenario, say it's Pirates 6 runs. Does that mean you claim the date if they scored 3 runs? 3x2=6

Yes, if the Pirates were the only team shown. However, if a second team is shown as well, you can use any combination of the two teams to reach 6 runs, so long as you count one of the teams twice.

There are many combinations.

Examples:

Pittsburgh
Seattle

Seattle 1 run x 2 = 2
Pittsburgh 4 runs

or

Seattle 2 runs x 2 = 4
Pittsburgh 2 runs

or swap the teams in the examples above

or have Seattle or Pittsburgh score 3 runs

Again, any combination of teams can be used. The only criteria you must use are rainouts, doubleheaders, and target adjustments.

Members online