Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When did the 180 Day Paypal Return Policy begin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Tried a quick search and missed. Trying to find when this started and if it only includes payments from that day - now or extends into any payment that aren't 180 days old yet.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Yea it is a ridiculous amount of time, I guess PP is just following suit of credit card company's. Wonder how this will affect prospectors?

Interesting perspective. I wonder how many Oscar Taveras rc/autos purchased in August were suddenly deemed "damaged" or "not as described"

It actually opens the door for all sorts of returns: Mind-changers, got a better deal, bidding war regret, lost my job six months later, a return is cheaper than a sale.... Etc

Last edited:

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
We’ve expanded the PayPal Seller Protection program to give you even greater coverage on your transactions almost anywhere in the world.* We’d also like to update you on key changes to our Buyer Protection program that may impact your transactions. Here’s what’s changing:

• Seller Protection now covers transactions even when the buyer’s address is unconfirmed. We’ve removed the ‘confirmed address eligibility’ requirement. That means we’ll cover millions of additional domestic and international transactions so you can sell to more customers and know your eligible transactions are protected.

If you use the PayPal account filter that blocks unconfirmed addresses, that filter has been turned off allowing more transactions to be eligible for Seller Protection coverage. Make sure you ship the item to the recipient’s shipping address on the Transaction Details page.

• Starting November 18, buyers will have up to 180 days to file a dispute. In addition, custom-made products will be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection coverage if the item was not received. Make sure to retain proof of delivery and other evidence of your transaction for at least 180 days to be eligible for Seller Protection. If you receive a claim from a buyer, keep these updates in mind and respond in the Resolution Center as usual. For more detail on all of the User Agreement changes taking effect on November 18, take a look at our Policy Updates page.
We’re always working hard to help you sell more and keep the shopping experience secure. Thanks for being a PayPal customer.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
I think people blow this out of proportion. Whether a return window is 14 days, 30 days, 60 days, or 180 days, it would not matter if you are an honest person. And if you are a dishonest person (i.e. scammer), then you've been exploiting loopholes for a long time as it is.

A true scammer is not going to want to leave their money tied up for 179 days just to file on the last day. They are usually pathetic thieves barely getting by and need cash in the first place.

Unfortunately you may run into fluke cases where this may be exploited, but it should be business as usual 99.9% of the time. Legit collectors / buyers aren't going to risk their reputation to file a claim on a busted prospect just because Paypal extends the return window.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Legit collectors / buyers aren't going to risk their reputation to file a claim on a busted prospect just because Paypal extends the return window.

Does a buyer's reputation really matter though? It's the seller's reputation that is critical. Buyer feedback is inconsequential.

Members online