Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Enter Melvin Upton Jr.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
It worked for Giancarlo, so why not?

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 8m8 minutes ago
B.J. Upton will go by the name Melvin Upton Jr. this year. Upton will explain his reasoning when he reports to #Braves camp.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
So what did the BJ stand for then? Bundle of Joy? Baby Joe?

Bossman Junior, apparently a nickname his dad gave him.

The change will still leave him irrelevant in the baseball world unlike Giancarlo. Batting .198 the past two years will do that to you.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Always thought it was short for Bartles & Jaymes, the booze I assume he's drunk on every time I see him play

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Wow, that's bad bad news for us married guys.

Our wives will be able to taunt us with the "NO MORE BJ" Triple Threads card topps will undoubtedly make.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm sure the Braves are checking to see if the invalid Signature can somehow Void that terrible contract...:cool:
LOL, but to the Braves' dismay, Upton signs all legal documents with his birth name, Melvin, like the printed signature on his Bowman rookie that came from his Topps contract:

41Wj2er3f4L.jpg

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Around 2005, Locker Room Memorabilia, did a signing with Upton, where he signed a bunch of ROMLBs with his full name ("Melvin Emmanuel Upton") on the sweet spot. There's one on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=230941726445&alt=web

I remember hearing back then, though I don't remember who said it, that Upton had said something to the effect that he hated his given name and was never going to sign it again. Given that, I'm curious what the reason is for the 180.

As an aside, Upton's dad's nickname was "Bossman," hence "Bossman Jr.," i.e., BJ, for his son. Not that Jr. has lived up to the name.

Members online

Latest posts