Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Willie Mays forgeries never end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Forgery or aftermarket sig? Most of the forgeries I've seen look way off. That looks pretty close to my untrained eye.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Forgery or aftermarket sig? Most of the forgeries I've seen look way off. That looks pretty close to my untrained eye.

If it's an aftermarket sig (I'm still suspicious) then it's certainly incorrectly listed. The guy is presenting it as a 1/1 and is surprised that he cannot find this card in Beckett, lol.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm guessing it's an autograph that he or someone else got Mays to sign, and is not a forgery. The signature looks good.
And in the seller's current and completed auctions, he hasn't sold one of these Fleer aftermarket cards, so he probably bought the card already signed and may not realize it wasn't released that way.
Sometimes cards pass through a dozen collectors or sellers in a few years.

Autocut, you may be right that it's a forgery, but I'm guessing not on this one.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
If it's an aftermarket sig (I'm still suspicious) then it's certainly incorrectly listed. The guy is presenting it as a 1/1 and is surprised that he cannot find this card in Beckett, lol.

Actually a lot of the Fleer aftermarket cards never were cataloged into beckett database--I have several aftermarket fleer jersey and bat cards that are nowhere to be found.

I agree, the Mays sig looks good, so either uncataloged aftermarket or signed in person as stated above.

TK

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
The COA on the back says "Authentic Autograph"

Maybe just an uncatalogued Fleer auto that wasn't released.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
The COA on the back says "Authentic Autograph"

Maybe just an uncatalogued Fleer auto that wasn't released.

When Fleer went bankrupt they sold a whole bunch of Mays cards that had the LOA on the back that were unsigned. Many of those later turned up in the market with obvious forgeries but a few seem to be legitimately signed by Mays. That's my guess on this one.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
When Fleer went bankrupt they sold a whole bunch of Mays cards that had the LOA on the back that were unsigned. Many of those later turned up in the market with obvious forgeries but a few seem to be legitimately signed by Mays. That's my guess on this one.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

autocut

I would love to see some proof of auto. These cards were never signed by Mays and sold unsigned as part of the Sy Berger collection in the Robert Edward auction. The original seller is prettybadblues on eBay. I'm quite sure if it was aftermarket, seller would have stated it instead of trying to use the Fleer card as its COA.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I dont know. Going by my 2001 ( same year) auto the "Mays" looks off...
MAYSWILLIE.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I dont know. Going by my 2001 ( same year) auto the "Mays" looks off...
MAYSWILLIE.jpg

I'm not saying definitively that the Mays is good but keep in mind that no one in the thread is really saying it was signed in 2001. The card was released unsigned after Fleer went bankrupt and auctioned off in 2010. The question is whether it was legitimately signed by Mays at that point...

Here is the link to the auction:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010/966.html

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I'm not saying definitively that the Mays is good but keep in mind that no one in the thread is really saying it was signed in 2001. The card was released unsigned after Fleer went bankrupt and auctioned off in 2010. The question is whether it was legitimately signed by Mays at that point...

Here is the link to the auction:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010/966.html

Thats true beacuse there seems to be 2 sigs he has for his last name...

Members online