Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Rise and Fall of the Hank Greenberg cut autograph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Nice read and sad to see. Yeah the one you just got , ehh , the one w the cut off H, wtf. It's crazy how some are so well done and some are so poor. It's also sad because as player collectors we want everything , sometimes even if it looks like crap. I'm trying to veer away from that , it's hard to do though. Love your collection

Ryan

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Nice read and sad to see. Yeah the one you just got , ehh , the one w the cut off H, wtf. It's crazy how some are so well done and some are so poor. It's also sad because as player collectors we want everything , sometimes even if it looks like crap. I'm trying to veer away from that , it's hard to do though. Love your collection

Ryan

Great writeup, Zan!
I 100% agree. Cuts have gone from "Let's innovate" to "Let's hurry and slab an index card in this frame."

Thanks guys for the kind words. Do we think there is any reason behind the laziness of card companies to not produce beautiful cuts like in years past?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks guys for the kind words. Do we think there is any reason behind the laziness of card companies to not produce beautiful cuts like in years past?

The monopoly hasn't helped. Beyond that the people running these companies were (in large part) never collectors themselves

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The monopoly hasn't helped. Beyond that the people running these companies were (in large part) never collectors themselves

I also wonder about the personnel making the cards. Has Topps always used non-sport-loving Grandmas to assemble their cards or is that only fairly recent development? Has UD and Donruss had the same policy with who can make the cards or have those two let attention-to-detail sports fans work on a cut auto card that they would be proud to own if they were ever able to obtain it?

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I don't think there's a serious want or commitment to taking the time and doing cuts right. It's pretty hack job now days.. why I stick to 2007 and before

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Do not card companies have to buy the rights to player images from family estates?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
IMO it's just using the wrong people to design / create / procure stock / and assemble cards.

Overall laziness / no editing and looking over ideas.

I don't even know if it's a money issue. If so it's minimal when talking about 1/1 type cards that should creat buzz around a product.

Even if they for some reason can't obtain a picture of a player , there are still ways not to make them suck.

So to sum it up , to make a cut nice

1st - obtain items that look nice . No streaking . Clean as you can find items. Items where the auto is the standout, basically items wo a crappy background

2nd - Design nice looking border, images , etc

3rd - when assembling , make sure the entire auto is showing. As centered in the window as possible

4th - look at customs done by some members here , how does yours look compared to theirs? If yours (Topps) looks like a 1st grade art project , redo

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Do not card companies have to buy the rights to player images from family estates?

I was thinking about that (seeing some of the examples in the blog article of textual but no image cut auto cards), but I ASSume that if Topps was able to license the use of his name from his estate or marketing firm, the right to use an image on that same card would likely exist since the name and image are probably linked together for licensing purposes.

I also think if money were an issue (say, license fee for using Getty Archive images), I bet you could get an Conlon image license for not that much compared to Getty, but I have to concur with another post that money should be no problem in making a great looking 1/1, so spend what is needed to not have a hack job.

Members online

Latest posts