Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why baseball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I seen another hot list came out today and again it's nearly all baseball. I've asked several people and have got different answers but why does it seem like baseball has the biggest share of the hobby or do I just communicate with other baseball collectors? People have suggested baseball fans of high incomes, another said the minor league system let's u meet and follow players for a longer time. A friend thought it was the storied history so for nostalgic reasons people collect. I'm curious what others think. I only collect baseball because it was the sport I was best at as a kid and loved since I was old enough to watch TV.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think historically baseball has been king of the pictures-on-cardboard hobby. I recall several anecdotal statements from Sy Berger to actual card dealers over the years that said basically baseball cards outsell the other 3 sports combined, in terms of packs going out the door. Sure, you could make a hot list that was all hockey, but you'd just be ignoring the larger segments of the hobby, and readership. At least there's none of that damn Magic on there (nothing's really unusually hot right now).

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Because Baseball was the sport everyone would stop what they're doing to go watch. Now, NFL and college sports has taken the lead as the 'must watch' sports and the collecting world is starting to catch up.

In the early days of radio, baseball games were broadcast, everyone would gather around the Philco or RCA and listen to the games. Same with early days of TV, they'd broadcast baseball games. Not until the early 80's did the NFL really kick off around the nation. NBA had it's niche in the 70's and 80's but Jordan put them on the map in the 90's. Hockey, well, its popular in select US cities but mostly in Canada.

Just my guess, I may be wrong!

Fordman

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Because Baseball was the sport everyone would stop what they're doing to go watch. Now, NFL and college sports has taken the lead as the 'must watch' sports and the collecting world is starting to catch up.

In the early days of radio, baseball games were broadcast, everyone would gather around the Philco or RCA and listen to the games. Same with early days of TV, they'd broadcast baseball games. Not until the early 80's did the NFL really kick off around the nation. NBA had it's niche in the 70's and 80's but Jordan put them on the map in the 90's. Hockey, well, its popular in select US cities but mostly in Canada.

Just my guess, I may be wrong!

Fordman

I still think baseball on the radio is the best. I'm spoiled though, I get to listen to Jon Miller

Sent from my C6530N using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
I will rarely watch a full baseball game unless there is nothing else on tv or it is September and October. I have more allegiances with my football teams as well.

Having said that, baseball is all about tradition and cards accompany that, so I collect baseball cards more than football. Collecting baseball cards seems more pure in a way than collecting anything else.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I love basketball and football. A lot! So the way I look at it, while they are currently under collected IMO, I'll keep buying them all day long while people constantly over spend on baseball. I still collect baseball. But right now I've been building a nice collection from other sports. And cheap too.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Baseball cards are intertwined with American culture. Any movie or tv show set in the 50's-70's shows kids with their baseball cards. All of our fathers or granfathers here had baseball cards. They are timeless.

I have no idea what the numbers are but BB cards have to outsell every other sport plus the non sports stuff easily

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I seen another hot list came out today and again it's nearly all baseball.

Probably because we're on the cusp of a new MLB/MILB season, while the other sports are old in the tooth of their season (NBA/NHL) and the NFL is in its offseason with draft coming up.

Look at the hot list during NFL preseason or week 1/2 and it'll probably be choked full of NFL (and ditto NBA around halloween) while MLB/MILB won't make much of a dent in the hotlist because the season is old or out of season.

Members online

Latest posts