Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"The old fall down play"....Florida ‘Trick Play’ Leads To Steal Of Home Vs. Florida State

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Wonder if that was by design? Nah, couldnt be!

I'm beginning to think the faceplant was an accident and not on purpose because what if the pitcher went to the first baseman to tag out the runner on the ground? I suppose one would sacrifice an out near first base for a run, OTOH, had the pitcher elected to get the out near first base instead of being distracted enough that the throw to home was late.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
The original play looks like it was designed to be a delayed steal: Runner on first breaks for second, then runner on third breaks for home when the throw goes to second. The pitcher didn't even seem to flinch at the runner falling. He went straight home... almost like he knew what was happening, but was too late to get the out at home.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I am going with delayed steal with a slight twist.....the trailing running faking a fall down. I cant say I ever saw that before but it was a good play. I wish the MLB would show this much hustle and originality.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wish the MLB would show this much hustle and originality.

Probably would not work in the MLB. This college play happened where the vast majority of players won't even sniff professional baseball so you're not exactly talking the best of the best baseball players on the planet. MLB'ers IMHO are too quick and have experienced a lot for this play to happen without an out being recorded.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Probably would not work in the MLB. This college play happened where the vast majority of players won't even sniff professional baseball so you're not exactly talking the best of the best baseball players on the planet. MLB'ers IMHO are too quick and have experienced a lot for this play to happen without an out being recorded.

I dont know. I think it would work once but after that I am sure the rest of the league would catch on.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I do think it's interesting how unenterprising MLB players are in designing plays.

It's said a criminal in jail has 23 hours a day to plan and plot how to escape jail.

MLB'ers have a hour or hour and a half a game that they could be designing/evaluating plays but it seems like there is not much new strategy or plays carried out in a game.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I do think it's interesting how unenterprising MLB players are in designing plays.

It's said a criminal in jail has 23 hours a day to plan and plot how to escape jail.

MLB'ers have a hour or hour and a half a game that they could be designing/evaluating plays but it seems like there is not much new strategy or plays carried out in a game.

Interesting thought, and I agree. Compare that to football or other major sports that are constantly pushing the envelope with new plays/formations/etc. All we have gotten in the recent years is the exaggerated shift defense (which I have no issue with btw).

Members online

Latest posts