Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Babe Ruth Macfarlane dark hat variant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
What are you kids, on dope? $4400 with a week to go on ebay, it was discoved in Colorado and is being pimped in Texas(by Beckett) I think it would sell itself without Becketts cut.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
coltsnsox07 said:
What are you kids, on dope? $4400 with a week to go on ebay, it was discoved in Colorado and is being pimped in Texas(by Beckett) I think it would sell itself without Becketts cut.

:eek:

wow

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
They should have done something different to make it a variant. Changing the hat color doesn't do it for me. But it is an insane amount of money for an action figure.

Allen

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Something tells me pretty soon there will be "super variants" in every mcfarlane issue, lol.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
This is the most limited McFarlane to date, with 3 copies made. Before this, Mcfarlane made a Teemu Selanne (Hockey player) variant numbered to 13. The only difference was the number on the back of his jersey. The common version had number 8, the variant had number 13 on it. That figure just sold for over $8000 a few months back.

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
It said in the auction that this figure was "pulled". How do you pull one of these? Is it just in the delivery box from McFarlane and only the store owners would have the first shot at getting these?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Be8el0ve said:
It said in the auction that this figure was "pulled". How do you pull one of these? Is it just in the delivery box from McFarlane and only the store owners would have the first shot at getting these?

Some people actually buy cases of Mcfarlanes, to try and "pull" a variant. I did this in Carmelo Anthony's Rookie year. I bought two cases of Mcfarlanes in hopes of "pulling" his variant.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
G $MONEY$ said:
Be8el0ve said:

Some people actually buy cases of Mcfarlanes, to try and "pull" a variant. I did this in Carmelo Anthony's Rookie year. I bought two cases of Mcfarlanes in hopes of "pulling" his variant.
Any luck with that?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Card Magnet said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":bzn1rby0]
Be8el0ve said:

Any luck with that?[/quote:bzn1rby0]

lol, actually no. I did end up with one though at a later date. It was by no means a variant of this kind of magnitude though. I think it sold for about $350 in Melo's RC year, a lot less these days though.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Be8el0ve said:

I stopped collecting McFarlanes for this exact reason. I saw Toys R Us employees ripping open the cases and purchasing the variants for their own collections and putting the leftovers on the store shelves.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
Michael Finley had a little known blue variant that was shipped to Europe only. That was selling for 4 figures for quite a while as well.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
When this was announced I thought for sure it would sell for $20,000 plus.
The biggest icon in all of sports with only 3 copies made= Huge money!

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
and I thought a Tom Glavine variant this morning for $120 was high. I never knew that some of these figures were this rare. I'm glad it wound up at a hobby shop instead of a retail store, since there can be problems.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
notoriousrmb said:
Be8el0ve said:

I stopped collecting McFarlanes for this exact reason. I saw Toys R Us employees ripping open the cases and purchasing the variants for their own collections and putting the leftovers on the store shelves.

This is why I am glad I don't really collect action figures or hotwheels any more.A lot of the time the employees would do this for themselves and it ticked me off.At least give us collectors a fair shot.Then it got real bad when I was collecting the Marvel Legends because some of the employees at walmart would see me looking through the figures and they'd ask if I had the variants and when I told them no they asked if I wanted to buy them.Basically these people were buying them at retail and scalping them to collectors.

Screw that.From now on I either pre-order or buy from the very few dealers left.

Members online

Latest posts