Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else think that Jason Bay is a good investment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I was wondering if anyone else felt Jason Bay was a good buy-low candidate right now. Playing in Boston with a big bat, I think that the prices have dropped to where the risk/reward is really solid and I just snagged a handful of his RC cards. Anyone else agree?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If he resigns long term soon then yes, otherwise a lot are hesitant to invest big in his in Boston since he may be gone soon.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
yup

picked this up a few weeks ago for what i thought was a great price for a gold refractor of an established star. i am unsure on what the status is on whether he resigns with the sox or not but i think he's going to put up some very solid numbers this year for boston

be4e_1.jpg

dave

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If Bay re-signs with the Red Sox, there is huge potential for him to be a fan favorite...and therefore great "investment" potential.

I would imagine that he and the Red Sox will work something out, unless he simply wants to play somewhere else.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
200lbhockeyplayer said:
If Bay re-signs with the Red Sox, there is huge potential for him to be a fan favorite...and therefore great "investment" potential.

I would imagine that he and the Red Sox will work something out, unless he simply wants to play somewhere else.

Sorry to bother you, but you have a PM.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
no I think everyone should stay away from Bay he is a bad investment and no one should buy his cards :evil: .

alright I guess I have to agree Jason will have a big year with the Sox and his prices will go up and when he does resign with the Sox later in the season or shortly after his prices will climb even more.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
I like Bay a lot, one of my favorites on the Sox. However, I'm not sure how good of a buy he is. I doubt he will ever be the big star on the Sox with Ortiz, plus the newer guys like Pedroia, Youk, Dice-K, Ellsbury, and he is turning 31 in September. He's got plenty of time left, but I just don't see him ever becoming "the man" at this age, especially given who he has around him.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
daveyou said:
yup

picked this up a few weeks ago for what i thought was a great price for a gold refractor of an established star. i am unsure on what the status is on whether he resigns with the sox or not but i think he's going to put up some very solid numbers this year for boston

be4e_1.jpg

dave
So you were the one who snagged it. I got outbid :(

KandKCards said:
I like Bay a lot, one of my favorites on the Sox. However, I'm not sure how good of a buy he is. I doubt he will ever be the big star on the Sox with Ortiz, plus the newer guys like Pedroia, Youk, Dice-K, Ellsbury, and he is turning 31 in September. He's got plenty of time left, but I just don't see him ever becoming "the man" at this age, especially given who he has around him.
I kind of feel that at current prices, even if he does not become "the man" he could do quite well. He's still a power hitter playing in a great market (on a team that should make the postseason) so he'll have plenty of chances to shine.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Look at Berkman last year. His refractors, from 11 years ago, started out at around $20-$30 before the hot streak. They were up over $130 during the hot streak. So anything is possible...

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Biggest things going for him:

1.) He's been generally productive his entire career and now he is on a pennant contender. If he helps the Boston Red Sox to another pennant and possible WS championship, then there will likely be a 'regional spike' in his stuff. All he needs is one key series to show what he can do.
2.) While he is Canadian, he has a 'face' Boston fans can associate with.
3.) He isn't Manny and will be seen as a fresh air.

Biggest minuses going for him:

1.) His age really prevents him from being nothing more than a 'short-term' investment.
2.) Injuries might start to creep up for him.
3.) Maybe is perceived as more of a secondary piece - someone who will just not put attention to himself. It maybe a good thing for the actual team, but maybe not if you want to be considered a star.

KandKCards said:

Members online

Latest posts