Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Barnett turns down chance to fight Fedor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
Man,i wanted to see this fight.Now Affliction has nobody decent to fight Fedor in Jan.

By Tom Hamlin/MMAWeekly.com
9 hours, 53 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintTop-ranked heavyweight Josh Barnett was originally scheduled to fight Andrei Arlovksi in the main event of Affliction’s second pay-per-view card, “Day of Reckoning,” before it was postponed due to sagging ticket sales and an impending partnership with boxing promoter Golden Boy Promotions.

Shortly after, Affliction and Golden Boy announced their boxing/MMA hybrid event for Jan. 17 in Anaheim, Calif., to feature No. 1 ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.

Though it was widely assumed that the Arlovski/Barnett tilt would be moved to the January card, things changed when Affliction inserted Arlovksi and Roy Nelson into EliteXC’s third CBS televised card, “Heat,” on Oct. 4.

Barnett says he was in Japan during the EliteXC announcement, and it didn’t come as good news.

“I was disappointed, yes,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “That was supposed to be my fight. We talked about it at some point prior to going to Japan, and I found out that I didn’t get the fight while in Japan. I continued to work on some business there, especially after I found out I wasn’t getting the fight.”

A fight with Fedor Emelianenko on the Jan. 17 card would seem a logical concession, but Barnett says he has turned it down.

“It would be (logical) for the fans, but the fans don’t understand contracts or the way things have been put down on the back end in terms of the business aspect of it,” he said. “Or the details between both of the fighters. So, it’s not really that we want to rob the fans of something, it’s just that I don’t think it’s possible.”

He maintains his decision is based on personal and business reasons.

“There’s just some times it’s better to keep your mouth shut and just not really talk too much about things,” he said. “I’m not trying to make anybody look bad or talk about the details of it, but it’s just not a fight that’s going to happen in January. And I think that the feeling is actually mutual.”

Barnett met Emelianenko for dinner during his trip to Japan, and the possibility of the fight was discussed. It was there Barnett concluded he would not fight his friend in January.

“There’s a lot of factors that go into this one,” he continued. “It’s not so simple.”

Affliction vice president Tom Atencio now says a Jan. 24 date for the first Affliction/Golden Boy venture is likely, due to the recent announcement of UFC 93 scheduled to take place on the same date in Dublin, Ireland.

“It doesn’t make any sense for us to go head to head with them,” Atencio said.

For Barnett, these things are part of the ups and downs of the fight business.

“Sometimes they’re surprising and sometimes they’re not, but I live for doing this my way and I’m never going to take second best from anyone ever,” he said.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Im not sure why fighters say "im not going to fight my friend".

Youre in this as a living and career, and you turn down fights?

I understand friendship, but honestly, seems like a lame excuse people use. Why? Because if you two were friends, it wouldnt matter who won the fight, it would matter that you both went out and kicked ass, gave it your all, and the best man won.

...oh well...lets just skip to Randy/Fedor :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.