Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone use "square" to accept credit cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Thinking of possibly using this. Anyone here use it?

My main concern is that a walk in buys a box or two, opens it and gets garbage and files something with his credit card, screwing me out of payment.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

My main concern is that a walk in buys a box or two, opens it and gets garbage and files something with his credit card, screwing me out of payment.

Can happen if you use a merchant base service as well. Or even sell on eBay.
I did not screw the seller when I charged back to my CC it was only because eBay paypal would not help me on my purchase like they said they do.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
My wife uses it from time to time and Likes it.

But aren't the fees ALOT higher than a normal box would charge you? And does Square take Discover/AmEx?

Jun 30, 2010
Yes, I use square all the time, works great... 2.75 % per transaction. It also accepts amex and Discover. If connection goes down then you can still process offline.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I don't accept cc at my store. But have thought about it, mostly scared off by "that" guy who would do a charge back when he gets crappy autos his $99 box.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I can't count the number of times I've walked into my LCS with the intention of just buying top loaders, but walking out with a box or two. If he didn't accept credit cards that would never happen. Just something to think about.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I can't count the number of times I've walked into my LCS with the intention of just buying top loaders, but walking out with a box or two. If he didn't accept credit cards that would never happen. Just something to think about.

Yeah I agree. If someone doesn't take a card then I'm pretty spent, I rarely to never carry cash on me

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I don't accept cc at my store. But have thought about it, mostly scared off by "that" guy who would do a charge back when he gets crappy autos his $99 box.

I'm surprised you haven't had pushback over the last 10 years or so from your customers. Cash is becoming rarer to carry around. I'd suggest taking some type of CC payment method. Track sales increases vs any chargebacks and see the results over 6 months or so.

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Cash is becoming rarer to carry around. I'd suggest taking some type of CC payment method.

not to mention an all-cash business is a huge security risk. I imagine if you do any kind of business each day, you're probably sitting on a few thousand in cash at the end of the day, making you a good robbery target.

With CC, I notice a lot of in-person transactions require a signature. I wonder if that is because it helps the merchant cut back on chargebacks if there is a signature on file.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio

You should get the square and start increasing your sales. I think you might be able to amend the purchase agreement to not guarantee the contents of the unopened box against a charge back. If you wasnt able to do so, FCB, D&A, Blowout and the others would be getting charge backs all the time. Contact them to make sure though.

Fordman

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Thanks all, I'll check into it

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I don't use Square, I use the PayPal version. Slightly less on the fees.

The complaints I've heard about Square is that they take too long to transfer money to your account.

Jun 30, 2010
I don't use Square, I use the PayPal version. Slightly less on the fees.

The complaints I've heard about Square is that they take too long to transfer money to your account.

No longer the case....I do transactions all the time until 8:00pm and the money is actually in my account by 6:00 am the next morning. The only exception is for Saturday transactions. The money will be in my account Monday morning.

Members online

Latest posts