Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pick- Sterling Gold Ref Auto vs. Chrome Blue Ref Auto

Which one would you want?

• Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto /150

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
This year I'd say Gold Ref, it's better looking to me and the sticker auto's actually look good in sterling unlike every other product.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
sterling gold all the way for me. dont care if it is stickered or not. don't care if chrome is king or not either.

sterling's are very underrated and just because they are sticker auto'ed, hate the fact that they are the stepchild to bowman chrome and their on card autos

if i have a chance at owning 5x of the same card, i'd rather have 10% of the gold print run over 3.3% of the blues but that's just me!

dave

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Hmm, I went with the Gold Refractor. The results are surprising to me thus far. The only three key examples that I can think of off hand are Posey, Beckham and Lars Anderson.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
bballcardkid said:
Hmm, I went with the Gold Refractor. The results are surprising to me thus far. The only three key examples that I can think of off hand are Posey, Beckham and Lars Anderson.

eh, i brought this exact same topic up a few months ago when bowman sterling released and have gotten the same results. 2/3+ chose blue ref's over the gold's. lol!

dave

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
daveyou said:
bballcardkid said:

eh, i brought this exact same topic up a few months ago when bowman sterling released and have gotten the same results. 2/3+ chose blue ref's over the gold's. lol!

dave

I'm very surprised to say the least. I'll take the gold every time.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
blue is the new sexy card for prospectors. look/scarcity/price point. sterling price point makes it hard to play with when cases are broken.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I figured I would revive this thread based on recent data:

Buster Posey Blue Refractors < last five raw sales >
$227.50 auction
$256.00 auction
$349.00 BIN/BO
$261.86 auction
$246.50 auction
Mean: $268.17

***3 9.5 sales at $450 auction; $479.99 BIN/BO; $440 BIN/BO***

Buster Posey Sterling Gold Refractors < last four raw sales >
$250 BIN/BO
$400 BIN/BO
lot of 3- $935.01 auction, plus 10 base cardboards/firewoods
$355 auction
Mean: $323.55

***2 9.5 sales at $550 BIN/BO; $434.99***

Considering, after a product is released and the values settle down, sterling golds sell for roughly .7-.9x the value of a blue refractor, and considering Posey's Sterling Golds are commanding a higher price during his en fuego period, is the Sterling Gold Refractor a better option given this info? In other words, is Chrome not king, at least in this comparison?

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
San Fran's one of the better card markets, though. Posey's also attained status where there are more interested parties than there are gold refractors. I think the results would be different if you were dealing with a smaller market and a player that doesn't quite reach his level. If the *interested parties* went from say 25 to 10, I think the blue would hold it's own, as both would be available to anyone that wanted one.

Also, in almost all of the cases, the Bowman comes first which people love and what not.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Bowman Chrome all the way. Its a shame that something so premium like Sterling has to take a back seat to Bowman Chrome. I wonder what will happen to the new high-end Bowman product coming out later this year. I have a feeling that Bowman Chrome will still win between those two.

Allen

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Who cares about on card? The guy put those same sweaty hands on the card as he did that sticker.

The Golds from Sterling are sick this year.

Sterling Wins.

kobechromecom

Jun 18, 2010
bmc398 said:
Who cares about on card? The guy put those same sweaty hands on the card as he did that sticker.

The Golds from Sterling are sick this year.

Sterling Wins.

Exactly. The sticker autos make no difference in price and it's a proven fact.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
On-card only for my collection.

If I was buying with the intention to resell, I wouldn't care if it was a sticker auto on grandma's dentures - as long as I could flip it for a profit, who cares? I mean, how much would a Pujols sticker auto on his grandma's choppers sell for? A profit with free dental floss- tuck it away in a plastic bag, and haul it back out when the profit's right!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its interesting to compare what some people here may like versus what novices/newbies would want. To the uninitiated I'd suspect the gold would be most popular by far.

Members online

Latest posts