Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Picked up a 90's Fleer 1/1...but is it real?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I should have asked this before buying, but I didn't want to risk missing it.
34so314.jpg

fadlbt.jpg

The purple text on the back is not foil and not raised. Also you can see what appears to be some purple smudges. This concerns me.

Can anyone offer assistance? I have no idea which box my SI set is in, but the gloss and stock seem legit

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
So you're thinking someone took a normal Extra Edition and printed 1/1 in purple?

Seems sketchy, but all the extra editions are serial #d , so they would have had to scrape away that numbering.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
There seem to be (2) of each 1/1 First Editions. 1 inserted in packs, 1 kept at Fleer for damage/replacements... The second ones slipped into circulation when Fleer went under.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
1 set into packs , 1 set was sheet cut and has made it's way into market. Within the past few weeks and article came up talking about someone thinking they have seen 3 Todd Hundleys (I think that's who) , but that's the first I heard of that.

Ryan

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
There seem to be (2) of each 1/1 First Editions. 1 inserted in packs, 1 kept at Fleer for damage/replacements... The second ones slipped into circulation when Fleer went under.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was legit or a bankruptcy card. I didn't pay attention when Fleer auctioned everything off and don't have a clue how to spot the differences

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Bought one of these last month and I'm in the same boat as you. Didnt know there were 2 copies until some help from the board. What can you do......need it for the PC and still only 2 copies.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I double checked and the right edge is wavy like it was sheet-cut.

Am I in the wrong filing a chargeback? Sorry, I bought it with the expectation that it was a pack-pulled 1/1. The auction makes no mention of it being from the bancruptcy sale

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I double checked and the right edge is wavy like it was sheet-cut.

Am I in the wrong filing a chargeback? Sorry, I bought it with the expectation that it was a pack-pulled 1/1. The auction makes no mention of it being from the bancruptcy sale
The current owner may also be unaware that multiple 1/1s exist. Personally I own two Cardinals players from this set.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
Based on the information you have provided, I would say you would be wrong to file a chargeback. The seller sent you the exact card in the listing. I am assuming that there was even a picture of the card. You have what doctors refer to as "buyers remorse". There is currently no known cure. You still have a great card, that at best is a 1 of 1 and at the worst is a 1 of 3.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Based on the information you have provided, I would say you would be wrong to file a chargeback. The seller sent you the exact card in the listing. I am assuming that there was even a picture of the card. You have what doctors refer to as "buyers remorse". There is currently no known cure. You still have a great card, that at best is a 1 of 1 and at the worst is a 1 of 3.

You're right, it's buyer's remorse.

I'm remorseful that I bought what was described as a 1/1 and clearly isn't. I'm remorseful the horrible picture didn't show the wavy cut, the smudged 1/1 stamp, or even a scan of the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381247078318?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The seller knew exactly what he had - meaning he knew they weren't 1/1 - along with the 8 other "none of ones" in the pic, none of which were marketed as being from a bancruptcy sale.

The only person who will have remorse is the seller after I get my money back. Being ignorant of what you're selling isn't a good defense for a paypal chargeback. Just ask anyone who has accidentally sold a fake patch or trimmed card

Speaking of which, do I open a claim through eBay or PayPal? It's been years since I had to do this.

Last edited:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

I'm remorseful that I bought what was described as a 1/1 and clearly isn't. I'm remorseful the horrible picture didn't show the wavy cut, the smudged 1/1 stamp, or even a scan of the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381247078318?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller knew exactly what he had - meaning he knew they weren't 1/1 - along with the 8 other "none of ones" in the pic, none of which were marketed as being from a bancruptcy sale.

The only person who will have remorse is the seller after I get my money back. Being ignorant of what you're selling isn't a good defense for a paypal chargeback. Just ask anyone who has accidentally sold a fake patch or trimmed card

Speaking of which, do I open a claim through eBay or PayPal? It's been years since I had to do this.

eBay

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I personally don't think you have a claim. They are marked 1/1, you could argue that there is a 1/1 Pack version, and a 1/1 Replacement Stock version. Same has happened with Score Rookie/Traded cards. I don't think the seller tried to mislead you. Plus your evidence isn't hard proof of the card's origination (good luck trying to definitively prove your theory).

Being ignorant of what you're buying isn't a good defense either.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Being ignorant of what you're buying isn't a good defense either.

...so what if I'd have purchased this instead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEREK-JETER...163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541023cf5b

Issued by Topps, serially numbered by Topps, even professionally graded by PSA

...except it's 100%, without a doubt fake. Nearly all the patches in this product were numbered to 10 or less, and NONE of the Jeters had patches, regardless of serial numbering.

It's a reasonable assumption that eBay would side with the buyer on the Jeter patch, even though the buyer didn't "do his homework"

How exactly is what I purchased much different than the Jeter scenario?

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
The Jeter card is a fake and yours is not. I just don't see how you can file a claim against a seller who sold you a product that was correct described according to the manufacture of the product. I have had similar experiences in which sellers try to hide the condition of the card they are selling with poor pictures. This is why when I pay I clearly indicate my expectations of the product. If the product does not meet those expectations then they need to refund my money before they ship or I will file a claim against them. I also ask them to provide a better picture prior to shipping. Most of the time the items are fine. Sometimes they apologize and refund my money. One time a dead beat seller attempted to try and screw me over. They offered me a a low ball refund, in hopes that I would go away. I filed the claim for a 50% refund. Not only did ebay refund me 100% they let me keep the cards.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381247078318?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To be fair Will, you could have asked for a scan of the card individually, front and back, before making your offer, that would have saved time, money, charge backs, and this thread of opinions. :)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, I see the OP's point. It's a supposedly rare card and he didn't want to waste time asking for further info. On the other hand, I'd say you might be able to send it back based on its condition(ebay'll practically let you send anything back for any reason) but as far as it being or not being a 1/1, you kinda have to live with the fact that there are more than 1 of these out there and you may not be able to discern the difference. If that's the only thing bugging you, I'd just keep the card and call it a day.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I had no knowledge of what stuff Fleer auctioned off. I know the Flair Legacys have been discussed in the past, but I've never seen a list of what's out there.

I filed a claim, hopefully I get at least a partial refund

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts