Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lost story on Pacific cards (and Griffey)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
From a 1993 Sports Cards magazine.

A few random things taken straight from the former owner of the company, Michael Cramer.

Cramer said that he turned down the NFL in 1989 because he didn't think his company could handle both an NFL and MLB license which he was sure was going to be given to Pacific.

Turned out that upper deck got that license in 89 instead (imagine how different the hobby would have been)

In the spring of '89, Cramer had a feeling about Griffey Junior, then just another top prospect in spring training.

He contacted Griffey's agent and the Griffey candy bar was created (this was griffey first endorsement).

What did he pay griffey? "It was basically a percentage deal with a very little guarantee" he said.

The bars hit the shelves in the Seattle area a few days before season started and wound up selling nearly 900,000 bars that year.

Reading the rest of the article, you could really tell how much Cramer loved the hobby and was a true collector himself.

Too bad they aren't around anymore.

Last edited:

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
You could tell in his products and unique designs. I would love to meet him and interview him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
chocloatebar.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have one tucked away in one of my oddball shoeboxes. I sometimes wonder, when we do get that rare super hot Seattle day, if the bar might not melt. I don't have AC in my house and sometimes it can get quite warm. Might be the one collectible that should be stored in a refer/freezer.

They were sold new when I was away in the Navy, so I never actually tried one to see what they tasted like.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I have one tucked away in one of my oddball shoeboxes. I sometimes wonder, when we do get that rare super hot Seattle day, if the bar might not melt. I don't have AC in my house and sometimes it can get quite warm. Might be the one collectible that should be stored in a refer/freezer.

They were sold new when I was away in the Navy, so I never actually tried one to see what they tasted like.
I have this one tucked away and wondered the same thing. I have no plans of chowing it done so I will just leave it. I think I have a variation of wrapper color as well:
image-20.jpg

You know this candy was not an original idea because more came before these:
reg0001.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a Fernando Valenzuela gum pack as well and used to and may still have a John Valentin box of candy. I'd like to see some more player specific food issues like this, not just one of a series of cards coming from within food packaging (like a Tombstone Pizza, Pepsi, Kraft Mac&Cheese, etc) but an actual product sold for a single player, like these already shown. I remember some Clark Bars with Reggie cards in them as well, but I don't know if the packaging was Reggie as well.

Members online