Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beware of Beckett grading.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Thought I'd share a recent story involving Beckett Grading. First of all I rarely buy graded cards and hardly ever get them graded myself unless they are oversized and I want them protected.

So I have this 1978 Ozzie Smith Padres Family Fun card that was graded by SGC as 96 Mint 9. I wanted the card in a Beckett holder so I sent it in. I was so sure that this card would cross over to at least a Beckett 9.0 that I didn't insist on a minimum grade crossover. Fast forward and my card comes back as a 9. The problem is they damaged the hell out of it when they slabbed it and they cracked the side of the slab before they sent it back to me. They took a chip out of both the top and bottom border of the card as well as putting a thumbnail gouge along the back border. I couldn't believe it. I called and s/w Chuck who is the guy evidently in charge and he told me to send him scans which I did. I sent him high resolution scans of the card when it was in the SGC slab as well as what it looked like now. He wanted me to send it to them because he couldn't see the two chips. I did this.

When he called me about it he said he thought the card would still get a grade of a 9! I couldn't believe it. He then started talking about if he cracked it and it came back less would I accept compensation for the difference in free grading. When I said I would not he said, "Are you sure because a claim will take months and you could have more grades now?" Because I wasn't interested in more Beckett grading I told him to crack it, regrade it, then call me so we could start the process.

Now, in my opinion this damaged dropped the card from a 9.0 to a 7.5 or lower. Fifteen minutes later I get a call that a "team" of graders looked at the card after it was cracked out and they agree it would still receive a 9.0 and so it was slabbed and shipped and no compensation of any kind will be given! I wonder what grade and how many free grades I would have received if I would have went with that option.

I can almost hear this guy going to the graders and telling them just to reholder it to shut this so and so up. This was a PC card and I never have any intention of selling it. I just wanted it protected better so nothing would happen to it. Wow. Having trouble finding the original scans or I'd post them to show you. Just a warning to those of you out there that this is the kind of customer service you can expect at Beckett.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Sorry man......and this is not the first story like this about crossover grades.

I wonder if they have issues with removing the cards safely from slabs? SGC slabs, the cards are not sleeved so that could be part of the removal issue.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I have removed cards from SGC, PSA, and BGS slabs without ever damaging a card. I'm really careful. And it is possible. And this is just using basic tools - for some reason I imagine Beckett must have a more advanced approach than me.

Sorry OP!

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Wait a second here. BGS damaged a card?

Check out my Hall of Shame thread, bud. It's not the first, or last, time, it will happen. Sadly, their error resulted in no apology, despite a few emails with all original high-def scans, but I did get a little sticky from the manager:

BGS NOTE.jpg

Members online

Latest posts