Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS was in town today so I finally grabbed my Crusades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Been holding onto these forever as they are my favorite Chipper Jones cards. One day I will land a red. Happy with my grades!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Attachments

• 1434253435031.jpg
    1434253435031.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 88

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Thanks. They are still in town tomorrow. I'm debating on sending it in for subs. Crossing my fingers for a 10.

Anyone think it's worth it?

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I did. But wouldn't I be able to send them into bgs?

I don't grade so I can only say what I have heard from others including West Coast. If you take them with you the RCR grade is not guaranteed. Someone that does more grading would be able to answer it better. I just know had you left them with them to take back to BGS you are for sure getting that grade or higher.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I don't grade so I can only say what I have heard from others including West Coast. If you take them with you the RCR grade is not guaranteed. Someone that does more grading would be able to answer it better. I just know had you left them with them to take back to BGS you are for sure getting that grade or higher.

This sounds like what I was told from the shop. I did 3 cards (first time ever submitting something to BGS for myself) and was told that if these left the shop then there is no guarantee for the grade they are currently in. I took no chance and submitted them right away (got some pretty good grades overall). If you submit them with BGS when they are at the shop, they guarantee at least the grade it is stickered at, if not even better once they put subs on it.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
This sounds like what I was told from the shop. I did 3 cards (first time ever submitting something to BGS for myself) and was told that if these left the shop then there is no guarantee for the grade they are currently in. I took no chance and submitted them right away (got some pretty good grades overall). If you submit them with BGS when they are at the shop, they guarantee at least the grade it is stickered at, if not even better once they put subs on it.

I've heard that even on the spot (like at a show) it is not guaranteed though I'm not 100% certain...

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I've heard that even on the spot (like at a show) it is not guaranteed though I'm not 100% certain...

I've done some research and Beckett seems to be purposefully vague on not even discussing guarantees for RCRs. I have sifted through a ton of forum threads on this exact subject and the general consensus (albeit not a spot on guarantee on Beckett's website under the Grading FAQ) is that RCR will receive a guaranteed grade of what was reviewed, with a chance to be bumped higher, if you submit for slabbing via Beckett (meaning they are the ones that take it to get slabbed at their headquarters). The only posts I saw where a RCR came back lower was due to the card being damaged/bent in route/while in the RCR holder, or it was purchased after the RCR was done and there was tampering on the sticker/a long delay in submitting the card to get slabbed.

Long winded, and not a direct answer by any means, but I think an overall assumption that most RCRs will return as the same/better grade. I hope I am right for my own sake lol.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
not sure, haven't seen enough cards to know about refractor lines.

i recall reading somewhere in the sweet 90's thread that another collector (one of our resident Andrew Jones guys, i think) thought that purples were tougher grades. then i remember going to look at the BGS pop report to see what the data said, and at the time, i recall thinking "seems true." He also mentioned that quite a few purples have edge wear on the back, and at the time i was about to submit a Mike Piazza for grading, and i double-checked the back bottom edge and lo and behold the edge was slightly peeling.

i just went back now and looked at the pop report - here is the data

Green - two BGS 10, 44 BGS 9.5, total pop = 158. So "Gem Mint" or better is ~29% of the pop.
Purple - zero BGS 10, 17 BGS 9.5, total pop = 95. So "Gem Mint" or better is ~18% of the pop.
Red - zero BGS 10, 18 BGS 9.5, total pop = 49. So "Gem Mint" or better is ~37% of the pop.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
not sure, haven't seen enough cards to know about refractor lines.

i recall reading somewhere in the sweet 90's thread that another collector (one of our resident Andrew Jones guys, i think) thought that purples were tougher grades. then i remember going to look at the BGS pop report to see what the data said, and at the time, i recall thinking "seems true." He also mentioned that quite a few purples have edge wear on the back, and at the time i was about to submit a Mike Piazza for grading, and i double-checked the back bottom edge and lo and behold the edge was slightly peeling.

i just went back now and looked at the pop report - here is the data

Green - two BGS 10, 44 BGS 9.5, total pop = 158. So "Gem Mint" or better is ~29% of the pop.
Purple - zero BGS 10, 17 BGS 9.5, total pop = 95. So "Gem Mint" or better is ~18% of the pop.
Red - zero BGS 10, 18 BGS 9.5, total pop = 49. So "Gem Mint" or better is ~37% of the pop.

Great breakdown, thanks. I've never graded before but I bought a Purp Tejada that was a PSA 9.

Too bad Phil Fry's set registry is down, I wonder if he still has all the data... ?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
On getting RCRs slabbed, I talked to a BGS rep about that back at a Tristar show last year, and he said you have to give them right back to get the same grade. You aren't allowed to take them away from the table or anything that would keep the "chain of evidence" from being clear. And even handling them might be dicey, although that might have just been the guy talking. If they slab at a lower grade, supposedly you can ask for a refund on the RCR fee, but I don't know for sure.

I'm not surprised Beckett is not clear on this point. They want to give people the impression that they can pay just $5 or whatever it is for a grade, but in truth you can't. It's just a quick opinion, and they make extra money on it because sending RCRs in to get slabbed the regular way doesn't get you a discount. And it makes sense to not give a guarantee. A card in a cardsaver with a sticker keeping it shut is not the best protection for a card so how could you be sure the card would be in the same condition forever?

All this is just what the guy told me, though. In practice, you might see something different.

Members online

Latest posts