Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone work with Small traditions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I ask this question because I find this interesting. I noticed they auctioned this Derek Jeter Precious Metals back in December of 2014 and it SOLD for 1100+

http://www.smalltraditions.com/unreal-1998-donruss-preferred-precious-metals-9-d-lot14467.aspx

Then this past month they listed this for sale on eBay for 3800+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Donrus...c0yfiN7Q1Ch3sVAqSKRi8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

So if they sold this card in December, did the 1st buyer go right back to them for consignment? IDK, makes me question the validity of the 1st sale really. Shenanigans? Just interested to see what people thought.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I have bought from them before and everything went well. However, I have also noticed the sale of the same item a couple of times before as well.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I do find it interesting that I made an offer on the Jeter they listed on eBay, I was countered to $3200 and explained to that the card would be a 9-10K card when Jeter makes the hall. Funny, because THEY card sold 6 months ago for 1125. Just another thing I find interesting :confused: and a bit suspicious. And I guess as Mint put it "market manipulation"

Jhileman79

Nov 28, 2014
I have worked with them in the past. The month before my cards went up there were many record sales. Ex Aug PSA 10 Jeter Mirror Red sells for $3200. Oct my PSA 10 Jeter mirror red sells for $1400. Another EX. Aug 2013 PSA 10 96 Jeter Leaf Bronze auto sells for $4300. Next auction Sept 2013 mine sells for $1600. Why such a difference? Were the Aug cards his and he bid them up to show higher sales to get more people to consign?? Your call to make. Here is an article I found: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/small...-off-by-dave-thorn-of-smalltraditions-1177926

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I have sold and bought through him as well I was kind of surprised the 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter PSA 9 sold for $13,000.00 for the first one he sold I had $10,000.00 to get it at the time. Most of the cards he sold for me went above ebay prices but some went lower. It's a hit and miss when you send to an auction house but I don't think he is shill bidding any items. Though it would be nice to know a name on who bid on items at least a part even if its not the name like ebay shows. Also with the bidding ending at 2 to 4 AM EST makes it bad for me to want to bid as I live and die by the snipe bid on ebay. I would buy from him if I really want the card that bad. I do question that he has the same card that sold in December for $1100.00 now asking for over 3 times that. I know he bought his Mirror Gold Jeter for somewhere around $600.00 in I believe 2010 if I remember right and sold it in 2012 for $4,000.00 and since then it has Jumped up crazy I would think it might have been him that put the huge rise in the Jeter Mirror Gold prices. I still regret to this day not buying the PSA 9 copy for $6,000.00 in 2011 as I knew a guy who had it and was asking that much. He sold it and a few others I knew as well. On the up side I would have never gotten the 1996 Leaf Preferred Steel Bronze Promo Jeter if I got that so there is a positive because I would have stopped searching for 1996 cards or limited my searches on them.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I understand this is one persons experience and I would hate to make my mind up only hearing one persons side of the story, but kind of makes you wonder a little bit doesn't it? Didn't ST also sell one of the Jeter Mirror Golds for 30K plus? hmmmmmm

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I understand this is one persons experience and I would hate to make my mind up only hearing one persons side of the story, but kind of makes you wonder a little bit doesn't it? Didn't ST also sell one of the Jeter Mirror Golds for 30K plus? hmmmmmm

Yes a PSA 10 copy that looked nothing like a PSA 10 copy with a refractor line running across it and it being off centered. But that was not him as it was graded by the owner before him and I won't mention names but I heard that person had a buddy in PSA that gave him great grades and overlooked certain things but it was a rumor I heard from another Jeter collector I know. You tell me what you think here are some pictures and a Mirror Blue PSA 10 on ebay that's a PSA 10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-10-DERE...246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23516e47fe

Attachments

• Mirror Blue Jeter.jpg
    Mirror Blue Jeter.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 14480h_lg.jpg
    14480h_lg.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 14480b_lg.jpg
    14480b_lg.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I have sold and bought through him as well I was kind of surprised the 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter PSA 9 sold for $13,000.00 for the first one he sold I had $10,000.00 to get it at the time. Most of the cards he sold for me went above ebay prices but some went lower. It's a hit and miss when you send to an auction house but I don't think he is shill bidding any items. Though it would be nice to know a name on who bid on items at least a part even if its not the name like ebay shows. Also with the bidding ending at 2 to 4 AM EST makes it bad for me to want to bid as I live and die by the snipe bid on ebay. I would buy from him if I really want the card that bad. I do question that he has the same card that sold in December for $1100.00 now asking for over 3 times that. I know he bought his Mirror Gold Jeter for somewhere around $600.00 in I believe 2010 if I remember right and sold it in 2012 for $4,000.00 and since then it has Jumped up crazy I would think it might have been him that put the huge rise in the Jeter Mirror Gold prices. I still regret to this day not buying the PSA 9 copy for $6,000.00 in 2011 as I knew a guy who had it and was asking that much. He sold it and a few others I knew as well. On the up side I would have never gotten the 1996 Leaf Preferred Steel Bronze Promo Jeter if I got that so there is a positive because I would have stopped searching for 1996 cards or limited my searches on them.

Chris, I know you have been collecting Jeter really hard for a while now. So I know you have a really good feel for Jeter prices. And as you mentioned, this Jeter is pretty glaring to me. I would also think he would have at least waited a little more time before listing for 3x what HE himself supposedly sold it for. If he gets that price... great as I have one and would love to think it was worth that much, but makes me want to see who is buying their auctions. Especially that Mirror Gold

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Yes a PSA 10 copy that looked nothing like a PSA 10 copy with a refractor line running across it and it being off centered. But that was not him as it was graded by the owner before him and I won't mention names but I heard that person had a buddy in PSA that gave him great grades and overlooked certain things but it was a rumor I heard from another Jeter collector I know. You tell me what you think here are some pictures and a Mirror Blue PSA 10 on ebay that's a PSA 10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-10-DEREK-JETER-1996-SELECT-CERTIFIED-ROOKIE-MIRROR-BLUE-45-AMAZING-CARD-/151690037246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23516e47fe

Wow, is that refractor line right by his foot going straight up the card??/ That is crazy that card got a Gem. I call BS. Could you imagine paying 30K for that. OUCH. I don't care what the grade shows, very suspicious… Never noticed that before

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Chris, I know you have been collecting Jeter really hard for a while now. So I know you have a really good feel for Jeter prices. And as you mentioned, this Jeter is pretty glaring to me. I would also think he would have at least waited a little more time before listing for 3x what HE himself supposedly sold it for. If he gets that price... great as I have one and would love to think it was worth that much, but makes me want to see who is buying their auctions. Especially that Mirror Gold

That Mirror Gold jumped up a crazy amount even his 1 of 1 cards from the 90's don't sell that high. If I remember right Jared sold a 1 of 1 Topps Gold Label from 1999 and it sold for $1300.00. I do know the 2nd highest bidder on the PSA 10 Mirror Gold and he stopped bidding because he said it wasn't worth it as it didn't look Gem Mint and had it's flaws that were very noticeable. Again though I will defend Dave and say that wasn't him as that card was graded long before Dave got it. I don't know him personally but have dealt with him for many years now.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I don't think I will ever believe that 30k sale occurred...

Ryan

The owner got paid so I believe it did as he was telling me how he paid $500.00 and made a $29,000.00 profit and the guy who hates me that owns three 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter his last email he sent me as I was asking if he would ever sell me one he told me his buddy bought it and got a great deal for it and then told me he would give his to a Boston fan that burns everything Yankees before he ever sells me one so if anyone is kind enough I would love to be put on that remember me list to buy one. If you give me the time to sell things I will come up with the money. I know a few who has that card but none are selling at this time. They will know if I ever get one it will never leave my hands till I die then my daughters can do whatever they want with it as I will no longer be around.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The owner got paid so I believe it did as he was telling me how he paid $500.00 and made a $29,000.00 profit and the guy who hates me that owns three 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter his last email he sent me as I was asking if he would ever sell me one he told me his buddy bought it and got a great deal for it and then told me he would give his to a Boston fan that burns everything Yankees before he ever sells me one so if anyone is kind enough I would love to be put on that remember me list to buy one. If you give me the time to sell things I will come up with the money. I know a few who has that card but none are selling at this time. They will know if I ever get one it will never leave my hands till I die then my daughters can do whatever they want with it as I will no longer be around.

I will stick with my statement...

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts