Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

An argument that this is the #1 RC Auto in the 21st century

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I know that there are strong arguments otherwise, and it is not the most iconic card of the last 15 years, so I'm playing devil's advocate a bit.

The obvious choice for the #1 RC Auto of the 21st century is the 2001 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujols Autograph /500. It has certainly gotten the most attention, and being the first year of BC Autographs, combined with not having any parallels definitely helped.

But the thing about Pujols is that he has over 50 autograph cards from his rookie season. He has on-card auto's that are pretty easy to get (his SPx is /1500), he has some super rare RC Auto's (like his Leaf Rookies and Stars Auto /50). He has really nice insert auto's (including some from Leaf RC's and Stars, a really nice autograph on a jumbo piece of RC season bat in Fleer Platinum etc.) There's the Donuss Elite Die-cut, the Topps Finest, 2 versions of Topps Archives (plus a signed rookie year baseball) and the list goes on.

Meanwhile, the only other hitter in the same league as Pujols since 2000 is Miguel Cabrera. He won the first triple crowd in decades. He was a World Series hero as a kid, and is beginning to work his way up some all-time lists at a very young age.

Cabrera Traded Auto BGS 9 10 001.jpg

And unlike Pujols, Cabrera has just a single rookie autograph, from Topps Chrome. Compared to what could easily be 10,000 rookie autograph cards for Pujols, Miggy probably has roughly 1000-1500 total.

I'm not sure that I've convinced myself, and I imagine it will likely never be as popular as the Pujols BC RC Auto, but I would say... the fact that there can be a discussion is a pretty big compliment to Cabrera and what he has accomplished.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Here are my thoughts as to why it wouldn't be

1. It isn't pack issued. There is always a stigma on pack vs set issued type items

2. I think a big part is the Pujols / STL connection on that card , and I don't think Miggy / Marlins means anything to many

3. Serial # , it means a ton and /500 in a heavily collected set is not a lot

4. I just don't think the collecting community have ever been crazy for Miggy at a level close to AP

5. The Topps Traded Cabrera is great , don't get me wrong

Ryan

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Here are my thoughts as to why it wouldn't be

1. It isn't pack issued. There is always a stigma on pack vs set issued type items

2. I think a big part is the Pujols / STL connection on that card , and I don't think Miggy / Marlins means anything to many

3. Serial # , it means a ton and /500 in a heavily collected set is not a lot

4. I just don't think the collecting community have ever been crazy for Miggy at a level close to AP

5. The Topps Traded Cabrera is great , don't get me wrong

Ryan

1) I definitely think you bring up some valid points. I've never really understood the first one (with 1 auto per box, it was basically a $50 box that came with a base set) since it wasn't like there was a guaranteed Cabrera auto every box.

2) Pujols definitely got tons of attention as the face of the Cardinals and some of that has carried over.

3) The /500 is definitely a big deal (with no parallels) but the fact he has so many other options does reduce it a bit for me.

4) 100% true, though I wonder, if Cabrera continues playing at such a high level for a few more years, if when he approaches 500 homers and 3000 hits, the attention comes.

5) Agreed 1000% :)

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Here is my take on why it will never come close to #1 21 century auto let alone be in the same sentence as Pujols Bowman chrome. Just stats alone, Miguel will never be as good as Pujols was ever, keep in mind miggys 2 best seasons (2011 & 2013) are Pujols 7th and 8th best seasons! That tells ya how good Pujols was, not only that Pujols was and still is a gold glove player at his position and has been for most of his career, Miggy never has been, even one year. So not only is Pujols a better batter, but way better defensive player and just a better overall player period and Miggy will never reach Pujols peak level. What that translates to for me is it doesn't matter how many Rc's Pujols has as he will always be King over Miggy.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Chrome is king. And since the Pujols was a redemption, there are slightly less than 500 of them, since a few redemptions are probably still in unopened boxes, and maybe a few kids or naive people didn't read the redemption or didn't send it in.

Regardless, Pujols was a demi-god and Chrome is king. The Pujols card has a mythical quality to it, like a modern day '52 Topps Mantle. Collectors don't and won't care how many other rookies he has.

The Cabrera is unique and awesome, but it will never have the same aura to it, even if he passes Pujols' career stats.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Pujols exploded out of nowhere in his rookie year. Cabrera was a good prospect who got better over time. While a debate over "the #1 autograph" will depend largely on where they end up, how they began could also color people's thinking. Also, they might both be superseded by Trout anyways.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
That pujols is definitely number one.

That card alone has made collectors wonder "is this prospect the next pujols" a million times.

It has also made the motto "chrome is king" (unfortunately) household in this hobby.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts