Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ripping Apart More 1 of 1's, plus a Custom Frame and ... a Lego Relic Card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
This week, I had several things going on. I updated my checklist up to 2014, which took HOURS, but it was worth it. The only downside I see is how many cards are out there that I will never see. Did you know that Canseco has over 300 cards that are 1/1's alone? Crazy! Hopefully my checklist will assist others when they are digging in their collections to sell me Canseco cards I don't have.

One of the cards that came in this week was a 2015 Gypsy Queen Canseco autographed mini #/10. Topps never put it in a frame, so I bought a donor GQ card, pulled out the mini relic and wrapped it around my new Canseco mini Auto. I think it looks MUCH better than just some tiny card floating in a regular sized card holder.

Untitled-1.jpg

Speaking of frames, I ended up having some fun with the lego theme, and started thinking what if I actually embedded a lego piece IN the card? It could be a "game used relic".

So...I did.

20150628_012803.jpg

I think it was good for a laugh at least! I did have another donor frame come in, though and it was a 2006 Allen & Ginter frame again. This time, it was to house the mini I had Canseco sign.

20150628_013440.jpg

I LOVE how it came out. Red ink, the 1/1 notation. If you look closely, you will see a mustache. Jose said "Ahh, I see the mustache...that's old school!" I don't think he knew that the mustache wasn't his. Truth be told, it is mine.

Perhaps one of the most anticipated mini customs for me to finish up is the card I made from a piece of the game used bat I chopped up. It is thicker than a regular mini, so I ended up having to design and make a custom frame for it. I didn't want something that looked like it was created in celebration of the supreme court's recent decision like the A&G frame, but I also didn't want something as plain as the GQ frame, either.

After several iterations, here is what I came up with: Oh yeah, Canseco signed his game used bat card, of course!

woodfront.jpg

I love how the refractive qualities of the frame go with the wood of the card & hope a real card company will do something similar with their frames.

woodback.jpg

[EDIT] It apparently made many people sad about 1/1's being destroyed, and getting upset about what the owner wanted to do with his own cards, so I'm taking them down.[/EDIT]

I also made a knob card of Canseco. The cool thing for me about this one is that I was able to use a picture that my wife took of him when we were at his house.

20150516_122014.jpg

I had him hand number the knob slice, photoshopped the Yankees hat on him, and voila!

20150624_155005.jpg

20150624_154909.jpg

That's all for this week, kids. Don't forget to tune in here next week when I attempt to make a custom Mike Trout 1/1 out of a real fish and some relish!

Last edited:

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Edible Mike Trout card? Edible cards?? I think my cat would make the perfect pack searcher :twisted:

Great as always, keep up the awesome work.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
My god......what have done man?!

In all seriousness, respect for the team collector's loyalty despite my own :)

mouschi

May 18, 2012
My god......what have done man?!

In all seriousness, respect for the team collector's loyalty despite my own :)

Oh! Brewer Andy! I ... uhhh ... I thought I had blocked you from seeing this post. Jeesh, uhhh...this is embarrassing. I promise you one thing though, my friend - no Brewers were harmed in the making of these cards. The cards themselves, however ....

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Oh! Brewer Andy! I ... uhhh ... I thought I had blocked you from seeing this post. Jeesh, uhhh...this is embarrassing. I promise you one thing though, my friend - no Brewers were harmed in the making of these cards. The cards themselves, however ....

Curious , what has been happening to the cards you have "destroyed"

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Curious , what has been happening to the cards you have "destroyed"

Ryan

I considered setting a bonfire to them while making some smores, or making some franken-cards out of them, but ended up sending the pieces back to the owner, in case he wanted to put the originals back together. They would for sure be notated as having been "altered" but the curb appeal should still be there 100%, so it really isn't as horrific as my click-bait titles make it sound :)

Members online

Latest posts