Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP in to a Great Collector...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
RIP in to my Favorite Collector.

My Dad died very early yesterday morning after about 3 hours in the ER. He'd been sick for about two weeks and gotten steadily worse. He was 75.

He was a pretty devoted Collector. He had some SLUs, McFarlanes, older Preview magazines, oddball novelties and old Programs from games he attended including most Eagles games from '58-62, when the Army came calling. In the Army, he attended the '64 Olympics in Tokyo and witnessed Bob Hayes then-record 100m. He bought 2 or 3 newspapers EVERY DAY and scoured the box scores. But his biggest Collection was Baseball Cards.

He, like most of his buddies, collected as a kid and actually preferred Bowman to Topps. He traded all his Yankees and Dodgers for Philadelphia A's. But he didn't really like the famous '52 Zernial card, even though Gus was his favorite player. He also had an impressive collection of Airplane cards. He gave most of the '50s cards he had left to a neighbor kid shortly before I was born. But he distinctly remembered having "3 or 4" of the '52 Mantles. :lol:

He collected bits and pieces over the years, mostly '73-79 or so before I started and mostly his beloved A's who had finally turned it around. He went to A's-O's games in Baltimore every year and usually took me and a buddy. The "Bash Brothers" teams were his favorites. He loved McGwire most and even had a personalized licence plate with the Correct "GW" spelling. He also enjoyed Steinbach, Eck and Stewart from that team. He stayed with them all the way, and the last time I had a full chat with him was still complaining how MLBN and ESPN always made it hard to follow his team 'cuz of changing their formats and didn't cover them enough.

He and my Mom split in the late 90s and he got fully into the Cards again. He would get a full box of almost every product back then, no small task. I worked at a LCS near him, so that made it cool for both of us. He slowed down buying again around '02 and when money got tight we sold off most of his more valuable cards and programs, but no A's or Nolan Ryan, another Favorite. He would still pick up packs here and there, mostly retail and he always would shoot me some questions about them too. I'd send him any A's I'd come across to check out. He got some '15 Topps and GQ for himself and some Prizm and Donruss from me.

He was a grouchy, stubborn old man at times but a pretty cool guy underneath that and will be missed...

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
:( Sorry to hear that, so hard losing a Parent..........

Death ends a life, but it does not end a relationship

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you have a ton of great memories! Those are the things to cherish

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. He sounded like a really cool guy. Lost my Dad 2 days after the Phillies won the World Series in 08. Take care and God bless.

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
So sorry for your loss, This touches me because my dad was a collector and I don't know what I would do without him, God Bless.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I'm glad you got to enjoy collecting with your dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts