Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

'03 or '09 worst dual ROY winners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
From the last 25 years, those two years are probably the worst in terms of the careers both winners had.

03 was angel berrora and dontrelle
09 was Andrew Bailey and Chris Coghlan

Which say you?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Man I seriously have no recollection of who those 09' guys are. So I know Id have to agree it couldn't be worse.

Ryan

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Chris Coghlan is still pretty relevant in the majors and has been pretty consistent. I wouldn't mind him in the outfield for the M's. As for berrora, Willis and bailey I wouldn't know who to choose.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
2001 was one of those "once in a lifetime" scenarios.

Both will be hall of famers (first ballot should be)

Both had true rookie cards that year

Both are still highly collected

Both had record breaking rookie seasons

But because of this, they are a big reason why Judy Heeter and her crew invented the mlb RC logo and stopped topps from putting prospects in non bowman issues.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I think there was some backlash after Ichiro won it and what we're willing to consider "rookies". At least that's what I remember the narrative being for Matsui

Thinking back I remembered it being a snub, but now looking at the stats its very close. Berroa had a slightly better WAR, many more steals, triples, runs, slg% and 1 more homer while having the same avg.
My faded memory had Matsui hitting about 23hrs, but he only hit 16. If he had in the low 20s I think that would have put him over the hump... close vote.

Looking at the rest of the pack you could give it to Tex. as well and I wouldn't mind.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Thinking back I remembered it being a snub, but now looking at the stats its very close. Berroa had a slightly better WAR, many more steals, triples, runs, slg% and 1 more homer while having the same avg.
My faded memory had Matsui hitting about 23hrs, but he only hit 16. If he had in the low 20s I think that would have put him over the hump... close vote.

Looking at the rest of the pack you could give it to Tex. as well and I wouldn't mind.

Im a Yankee fan so my memory is that Matsui had a fantastic year :p

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
2002 and 2004 were pretty weak as well. 2002 was Eric Hinske and Jason Jennings, both already out of the game after mediocre careers (Hinske at least made it over 10 seasons, Jennings barely made it 8, with a losing record and ERA of 5). 2004 was Jason Bay and Bobby Crosby, who, again, are both retired. Bay was a star for a bit, but Crosby was pretty much the definition of replacement value for his short career.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I really never worry about ROY as it's just for the best player out of a small, subjective field. But it's fun to watch how the fields change from year to year, sometimes it's overloaded with good to great players and other years it's like you wonder if they really have to give it out every year. And it's also interesting to look back on the great players who were called up too late to really compete one year but still exceeded the limit. For instance, Frank Thomas had 60 games in 1990, but I guess Sandy Alomar playing pretty much a full, very solid season (132 games) was the clear choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts