Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name something about this hobby you'll never understand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's no shortage of crazy things in this hobby.

One of mine is what the psa registry does to collectors.

I totally understand the legendary cards bringing incredible prices, but commons and low population cards??

Hey congratulations on paying $5k for your 81 Kirk Gibson even though a psa 9 is $40 and un graded is a buck. Now you're the only one who has a gem mint version!....until word gets out and next thing you know, there's ten and it's worth no where near $5k

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
What I won't and refuse to understand is how collectors heavily rely on "eBay" as the primary reference for the value of a card...whatever happened to the price guides? I got it, they are not always 100%, but they are being produced for a reason right?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
What I won't and refuse to understand is how collectors heavily rely on "eBay" as the primary reference for the value of a card...whatever happened to the price guides? I got it, they are not always 100%, but they are being produced for a reason right?

No. Unless you count "making up arbitrary values by pulling them out of our rears and selling them to the uninformed who are somehow still willing to pay us cash based on a reputation we carefully constructed 30 years ago" a reason

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

What I don't understand is how some people still refer to book value or pull out their Beckett to determine value of a card, when said magazines are at least a month out of date before hitting newsstands, and books are 6 months or more behind the times. eBay completed auctions offer a more current valuation, and reflect real-world sales. Much of Beckett value is just determined by a multiplier based on print run, and not at all in tune with reality.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
What I don't understand is how some people still refer to book value or pull out their Beckett to determine value of a card, when said magazines are at least a month out of date before hitting newsstands, and books are 6 months or more behind the times. eBay completed auctions offer a more current valuation, and reflect real-world sales. Much of Beckett value is just determined by a multiplier based on print run, and not at all in tune with reality.

eBay is too inconsistent for me. Again, if there were 2 Jeter SP RC on eBay, 1 is a PSA 9 for $500 (example) and a PSA 7 for $250, yet you find a Raw card just as good as the PSA 7 for $450, it just mind boggles me

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
The "guides" from Beckett and PSA can be useful tools, but you need to do so n e math afterwards.

"Guide" price x .3 = a better price and a more reasonable reflection of value.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I guess I'm just simple minded. IMO, a cards value is solely based on what someone is willing to pay...

Then why would you refer to a printed guide vs actual sales?

Anyway , yes to BBC , if your paying 25-50-100 multiples on a card compared to the grade below it, that's very risky. And when it's not vintage, iconic, or very low print run(25 or less) then even more so.

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I refer to a book due to the fact that the "value" is not all over the place as an auction on eBay would be...

eBay is not always good due to the fact that player collectors can really skew the price of an item. And it'll go for nowhere near what the rest of the world is willing to pay. Just what a handful of people are willing to pay. So if two or three people pay xxxx amount for a card, is the card worth that amount. The answer is no...

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
eBay is not always good due to the fact that player collectors can really skew the price of an item. And it'll go for nowhere near what the rest of the world is willing to pay. Just what a handful of people are willing to pay. So if two or three people pay xxxx amount for a card, is the card worth that amount. The answer is no...

👍🏽

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Crap! Forgot to answer the question...

I will never understand prospect card prices. Ever.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

True, but that also demonstrates that values are too volatile for an archaic print magazine to determine either. Especially one that can't be accurate on the less volatile cards. There are just too many cards produced that it can't be monitored or tracked a better way

Jun 30, 2010
I guess I'm just simple minded. IMO, a cards value is solely based on what someone is willing to pay...

Exactly... And some people are only willing to pay according to Ebay, some according to a published price in price guide, and others according to their particular need. I use many different variables in regard to buying and selling. What gets me is when a person uses a particular selling source as their only source for buying and selling.

Example: " Beckett Says"
'' It goes for on Ebay"
" The last one sold on ebay for"
" I pay no more than X percent of Beckett"

It is good to know a variety of sources, however one is not an end all be all.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

So you are saying that my Andre Dawson cards are not worth what I am willing to pay for them lol

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Exactly... And some people are only willing to pay according to Ebay, some according to a published price in price guide, and others according to their particular need. I use many different variables in regard to buying and selling. What gets me is when a person uses a particular selling source as their only source for buying and selling.

Example: " Beckett Says"
'' It goes for on Ebay"
" The last one sold on ebay for"
" I pay no more than X percent of Beckett"

It is good to know a variety of sources, however one is not an end all be all.

I Try and find an "even" ground between all as well

Members online

Latest posts